FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone doing the Vendee Globe?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 52>
Author
fleaberto View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote fleaberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 11:43am
I did the Volvo Virtual race for the last edition....that was enough for me - at least it included stopovers to have a little bit of 'life' now & then.
I'm not saying it was addictive....but I actually bought a laptop so that I could set my course when the final (compulsory) leg started on the last day of my holiday in Turkey!! - as well as making sure of wireless connection in the hotel beforehand!
....and that was all to finish mid-5000th overall.

Real time. Round the world. Every bloody day.

Awesome! LOL 
Lightning368 'All the Gear' (409), Lightning368 'Sprite' (101), Intl 420 ('Little Minx'),Contender 'Mild Oats' (620)- For Sale, Laser (big number) 'Yellow Jack', RS Vareo (432)'The Golden Rays'
Hengest View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hengest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by rb_stretch

I managed to sail into a hole overnight and lost 42,000 places!. Only going to get worse at a boat speed of 3 knots.....
I did it last time and found that I was getting up in the middle of the night to check progress / change course.

I expect to see some posts in this thread in the wee small hours before long. it gets very addictive.

Not doing it this time Cry 
Dougal View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 5:01pm
Any one else thinking of heading out towards the incoming low?  I need to gybe before bed time or I hit the rocks at some point in the early hours.

Totally addicted already - I can see this game ruining my life.

rb_stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 5:35pm
The problem with the low is that it brings winds mainly from the South, so I was going to keep going south and then use the low to start westwards track. What do I know though? I've lost over 50,000 places in the last 24 hours and only just getting out of the hole I was in.
Dougal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 5:40pm
Yes, but it looks like getting awfully quiet close to the coast with the wind coming straight on the nose, and the angle looks slightly better out to sea.

I think I will go for it tonight, have a look tomorrow, probably bail out and end up stuck in the middle going nowhere.

Edited by Dougal - 12 Nov 12 at 5:41pm
rb_stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 5:54pm
Reading the reports it is exactly the same dilemma that the fleet are going through, south or west.
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 8:02pm
I'm coast hugging heading south. Given that I am only modifiying course in the evening due to work blocking the site, I'm pleased to be up in the 20000ths. My current plan is to hug the african coast until the cape verdes then head SW aiming to cross the doldrums in sensible breeze. All the best laid plans and all, so will probably flounder in the next few days
andy101 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote andy101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 8:46pm
I am heading for Rio, if it doesn't work & I get chucked out the back will just stay on the beach watching the ladies play volleyball until the World Cup starts.

Who said it was all about winning Smile
Andymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Dougal

Gybed back and gained 2 places!  Way Hey!

Not following the race, but loving the commentary! LOL
Hengest View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hengest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 10:36pm
Really tempted to register and do it again

Must resist, must resist
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 52>