FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ovington thingy.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 19>
Author
Neptune View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 12 at 11:17am
The boat at the weekend that confused me the most was the Solution.  I'm sure its a lovely little boat, but why that over a solo, given how close the Bytes where over the water i doubt its appreciably faster.
RS300 and RS200, ex Musto Skiff
tick View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote tick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 12 at 11:17am
Originally posted by JimC

I think the main reason the RYA doesn't especially support the Byte is that the sailors have voted with their feet.

Jim......since the only option presented to youth sailors is the Radial how could youth "vote with their feet"? One young man looked at the Bytes buried in a hoard of 29ers prior to launching and asked what is it?

Looking through my binoculars at the racing the Bytes looked like jibless 29ers. That must be good on the "cool wall"?
tick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 12 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Neptune

The boat at the weekend that confused me the most was the Solution.  I'm sure its a lovely little boat, but why that over a solo, given how close the Bytes where over the water i doubt its appreciably faster.

The very thought at the front of the Byte fleet. On the Sunday in light wind they did seem ponderous. Were you sailing your Musto? Now they are very cool but they seemed to fall over on the gybes..........and how do you see where you are going with the kite up?? 
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 12 at 11:33am
Originally posted by tick

Pondmonkey, why should the young pre uni kids have single hander fun in a boat they feel good in?

they can- go out and buy them, set up a circuit, get some good class racing at local clubs.  Watch it grow organically, or if you're so inclined, invest a load of cash to buy a fleet and rent them out.  it's a free market.

I'm afraid it's market forces and the class system.  In my pre-uni days I could have had a byte, or a radial or even a Splash as they were also growing regionally on the East Coast back then.  

I choose a full rig Laser- it was faster, more fun offwind in a F4-5 with sea and my mates sailed them so we had great racing and loads of messing around- every day during the long summer holidays we seemed to take for granted back then.  

It might have f**ked my knees up, but I'm glad we all sailed the same boats.  I spent my twenties sailing a random mix of 'cool boats' with no one else to sail against bar the odd circuit event and a very brief spell with the RS300 with 10 others.  Admittedly that was my choice and there are only a few regrets, but I'm glad I'm 'over it' now... I don't intend to waste my 30s doing the same and certainly wouldn't wish it on a kid, where feeling part of the fleet is really quite fundamental to the overall package for most sailors.  

Edited by pondmonkey - 19 Nov 12 at 11:47am
tick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 12 at 11:39am
Yes, but if the RYA adopted it and participated in the Youth Olympics the boat would have a purpose. The Class secretary has been contacted by a number of parents who would like their offspring to have a go at the YO. They ask, "is their any support, is their any coaching". Young people become interested in sailing and most of them (and their parents) are looking for progression to something other than club or class racing. (quite right too). You buy little Maisie a fat pony but you dream of the Horse of the Year show.  

I am talking off the top of my head here but I bet all successful youth Laser sailors of 17 or 18 are big kids. None of the 29er sailors seemed to be.
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 12 at 11:40am
just so.  I had a batch of parents asking me on Saturday which double hander they should get for their kids, largely choosing between the L3k and the 420.  My view is that it doesn't matter, so long as you all get the same thing.

They didn't want to get 29ers because it would mean they would have to leave the club - the boat is too fast for our lake.

They just need someone to pitch themselves against and to have fun.
the same, but different...

tick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 12 at 11:47am
Pondmonkey.....I agree with what you say about fleet racing and racing with mates but was 20? years ago. Pre uber cool 29er. Britains youth is more image conscious these days, and why not? The RYA leads the sport and I think they are short changing young sailors.

What we need is a bit of youth comment on here???? Once again (like the RYA) an old fart is mouthing off about what they want!
tick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 12 at 11:53am
Anyway......talk among yourselves for a bit. I am a pensioner and am therefore busy. Unlike you lot wi Winkth jobs.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 12 at 12:18pm
I get what you're thinking with the rig looking like a 29er without a jib and the logic being when they team up, get a bit older they get two sails and a racier looking boat.

Funny this should show up again just now, only last night I was pouring over the Bytes details after my race on Sunday, which as enjoyable as it was, now puts me out in the solitary world racing myself against the clock rather than being in the pack boat dodging which a slower boat would achieve.

Hindsite being the science it is, should have seen me take your advice in the first place for our lake this weekend without the Lasers, Rooster 81 or a Phantom or Blaze in the mix. It's almost like you need two boats depending on who's going to show up.

Anyway that's my problem, but the rest of the world don't know anything about all this and as long as the Ovingtons and Rs's of this world run their big showcase events in the cold damp mists of Autumn and don't tell anybody outside of their existing customer base that something like that event is going to happen and perhaps you'd like to come along and try sailing in one of their boats with folk at hand to close deals, it is always going to be the way it is. It's no good expecting the RYA to do your marketing for you, they'll always do what is convenient for them and they want a quiet life with as little as possible to deal with equipment wise.

Edited by iGRF - 19 Nov 12 at 12:20pm
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 12 at 12:21pm
The Byte rig looks like the 29er, but the hull is simply a scaled down Laser - Ian Bruce's take on things after he had been involved with Bruce Kirby designing the Laser. I even read somewhere that he delayed the release of the Byte so as to give the Laser space to develop a following first.

Maybe what the singlehand youth of today with pretensions to coolness need is a new design - maybe like the Light Skiff? I'm old and uncool, so can't see the attraction, really, but it must be there, as it is for the 29er.

The Feva, of course, is also a huge hit, but there is no singlehanded version of that with cool wall aspirations to take on the Topper, either - a lower volume version still with kite but no silly jib kit for aspiring Light Skiff helms, to go on into the Olympic Musto Skiff?
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 19>