FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why I like/hate the boat I am currently sailing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
rogerd View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why I like/hate the boat I am currently sailing.
    Posted: 12 Apr 13 at 9:01am
After boots review of the Alto I thought we should have a why I like my boat thread.

My new boat is a 1957 Jack Holt designed Merlin Rocket. Only three sails so far and I am learning how she works and what I need to change.
However my first impressions are that she is suited to the shifty puddle I sail on. Quick to tack, stable to gybe even with a very young and inexperienced crew and showed our transom to the very good Comet sailor we have.
Still trying to sort a second hand mast to replace the stiff wooden one she came with and save the woody for cvrda events.
Only downside so far is when we capsized the boat filled up with water and only a lot of bailing could save us so it was race over. The young lad was very cold so time to go in anyway.
Best bit for him was overtaking his older brother. Best bit for me I found I could more or less single hnad her and a really lovely responsive boat.
I have never owned a Merlin before but I can see why they are so popular.

pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 13 at 10:18am
Good thread Roger!

Why I like the boat I am sailing?

Class Racing- it's delivering what I bought it for

Why I am surprised I like the boat I am sailing?

It's actually quite nice, feels solid and you don't capsize every time you have a wonky gybe.  I also like the sail very much, it's the first one since sailing oppies that I feel I've got to set nicely.

Why I hate* the boat I am sailing?

It's a stark reminder to how good class racing is, and a damn shame our club doesn't have a fleet of Finns anymore.  (50+ back in the late 70's apparently).  The Finn would probably suit my weight better than being at the top end of a Solo, sailing inland predominantly in the evening summer series.

* hate is a strong word, if anyone hates their boat then they really need to sell it, or indeed destroy it as if you truly hate someone or something, then the financial implication of their destruction is of little concern.

Edited by pondmonkey - 12 Apr 13 at 10:19am
Owenfackrell View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Owenfackrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 13 at 10:25am
My current boats are;
An old wooden miracle which my daughter loves to go out in as she has some where to sit. Its easy to both rig and sail by my self (though im learning on doing 3 sails). The down sides are the fear of damaging the pain/varnish that i spent a whole winter re-doing.
A dart 18 which i have wanted since i was a boy. She is fast and i cna sial her on my onw very happily. Its nice to have some where to lie down when there is nex to no wind. Its great for taking away and sailing of a beach. The only real down side is th ecost of replacement parts but as they last  along time its not so bad.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 13 at 10:46am
Love the Lightning for the easy rigging, great acceleration, ease of maneuvering, and most of all, the excellent atmosphere at open meetings. Gybing in a strong wind... maybe not my most loved aspect!

Minisail - love the quirkiness, the scow bow, reaching downwind in a blow. Upwind, not so sure about. Would love it if there were more people playing in them as 2nd or 3rd boats - a dead cheap way to get lots of fun.

Firefly - Love everything apart from bailing out after a swim!
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 13 at 11:15am
I have an International Canoe: 'nuff said...
rogerd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 13 at 11:19am
Ok dislike.
Last year I bought a british moth and disliked it a great deal. I just couldnt get her to go. Rupert borrowed her for an event and told me he thought it was very heavy and he, a better sailor than me struggled with it.
It really knocked my confidence so she went on ebay pretty quickly and the B in BM became bl**dy Moth until it had gone.
fleaberto View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote fleaberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 13 at 11:20am
My Lightning is super-easy to rig, pretty easy to get going in the 'confidence inspiring' light winds and feels racey as the wind speed rises a little - so a great way of starting out in single handers.
Turns into a handful in a bit of a blow, but hey, that's part of the fun? The chatty, relaxed, sociable atmosphere at Opens is probably my ultimate favourite part. The boat suits me supremely well, but it's the people that keep me turning out to come 15th at events LOL
Downside? - downwind/gybing in a blow?. My technique actually involves working out how quickly I'll recover from the inevitable swim LOL

EPS? - Now I love it. Honestly, I really do. Comfortable, easy to sail (Honestly) and, for me, can realise some superb high speed reaches (I only weigh 70kg). It's my 'blast' boat and I have a blast everytime I sail it. Even after a tough day I don't think I've not been smiling after sailing this boat.
Downside? - It's a bloody long way to try and get back in when you're out on Wing-Hole 7 and you drop into a lull!
Lightning368 'All the Gear' (409), Lightning368 'Sprite' (101), Intl 420 ('Little Minx'),Contender 'Mild Oats' (620)- For Sale, Laser (big number) 'Yellow Jack', RS Vareo (432)'The Golden Rays'
robin34024 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote robin34024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 13 at 11:23am
having handicap raced a topper at our puddle for the past 3 years, i never got any competitive racing at my own club. the time came to move out, and i tried the laser, but hated it, so i decided to try the streaker, as i would at least be able to race the few solo's and maybe the odd enterprise. now, half a year later we have at least 2 other boats that i can race against, and although it doesn't sound like much, its far better than trailing around behind the whole fleet in a topper... the streaker is also a really comfortable boat, and suits our little, shifty water perfectly, being very light, quick and easy to tack :D
Streaker 1837
RS600 638
Cherub 3201
themeaningoflife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote themeaningoflife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 13 at 11:23am
RS800- Massive learning curve, unbelievable acceleration, perhaps too stable to keep it challenging without lots of class racing though, having come from the 29er.

29er- Beautifully twitchy, especially in waves, that means there is always something new to learn. The youth class racing scene is fantastic, half my closest friends I've met through the class.

RS200- Great class racing, easy to take a beginner out in, but still maintains a challenge, especialyl when it's windy. Also reminds me how to hike in the holidays when not team racing.

Firefly- Team Racing boats good only for that, Team Racing, since they are very heavily built, with over-specced sails and rubbish controls. However we are doing up a classic racing Firefly for Itchenor School's Championship, which hopefully will be quicker/racier.
Cambridge University Lightweight Rowing Club
RS800 1128

kindly sponsored by RWO Marine
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 13 at 11:29am
3000:
- Like: easy trapeze asymmetric, ideal for our light (120kg) weight. The V planes very early. Low to water - fun. Easy to wheel about on land.

- Dislike: playing with Wayfarers in light airs - 3k doesn't have a lot of sail. Can be wet to sail and thus cold in winter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>