FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What boat should I buy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
ajbaldwin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ajbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 13 at 9:42am
HMMM what about the Laser Vago

at your weight can be sailed single handed with or without trapeze,

Big enough to take a crew, and as it has a jib and kite plus crew trap option will give them plenty to do and not just sit there
Yorkshire Dales SC
Vareo 505
Noah View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 13 at 10:05am
I was in exactly this situation a few years ago. My heart said buy a 5o and join Hayling. My head said buy something sensible & join Frensham. My head won. I spent the first 3 months swimming around and righting my Lark, then the next 12 odd chasing the pack. The feeling when I first didn't finish last was wonderful!
Are you sure your kids are really interested? I put mine thru RYA 1&2 but the bug didn't bite :-( After a few years of sailing on the pond I decided waves were the way to go - hence the Fireball now. One of our 'larger' members has single-handed his, but he is quite big and a seriously good sailor. I wouldn't try it.
Which boat will best suit is affected by a multitude of factors - not least location and lunch / recovery facilities. You don't really want to be hauling something heavy up a steep slip or across shingle.
i tick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote i tick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 13 at 10:28am
Just buy 2 cheap ones.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 13 at 11:18am
Originally posted by i tick

Just buy 2 cheap ones.

Sounds good doesn't it. But it's probably fair to say that a cheap boat requires more money and time spent on maintenance than a newer one, so two cheap boats? Keep your eyes open with that option. (says the bloke with 4 boats, each of which *originally* cost under 1,000).
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 13 at 11:23am
Right I'm going to suggest something very left field.

Scandinavian Cruiser 20

http://www.scandinaviancruisers.com/Yachts/The-Scandinavian-Cruiser-20.html

A fast lightweight singlehanded lifting keel boat with a trapeze. I'm guessing you are a man who likes the finer things in life and this might be the ticket. Loads of flexability without getting wet. So great for the kids and you.

The other boat I'd suggest is the WETA.

Perfect for your situation, very fast and a very different type of boat to the SC20. It depends what you like from life.

LINK

Telltale View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Telltale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 13 at 11:34am
SC 20 is a lovely boat with a sort of code 0 furling spinnaker but 15,000 might be out of budget !!

Edited by Telltale - 23 Aug 13 at 11:36am
GybeFunny View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 13 at 12:41pm
Do you plan on racing? If so go to your club of choice and see what they sail there...
stewart smith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote stewart smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 13 at 4:44pm
Spitfire: It ticks all the boxes and with the big wheel trolley it easy to launch.
Stewart Smith
Hector View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 13 at 5:31pm
A picture (or two) paints a thousand words.
Vortex - faster than a Fireball, loads of room for passengers. Singlehander, trapeze, fits in the same dinghy park space as a Laser, allowed at most dinghy only clubs and all major dinghy only events, very inexpensive secondhand, sail it with or without Kite. New builds available very soon.

IMG_0286.jpg
jcarterDscf0058.jpg

Bonar_0424.jpg
Keith
29er 661 (with my daughters / nephew)
49er 688 (with Phil P)
RS200 968
Vortex (occasionally)
Laser 2049XX
rb_stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 13 at 7:25pm
I've taken my wife out in my Phantom and there was a surprising amount of space for both of us...just another option.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>