FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS500 ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 34>
Author
Guest View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS500 ...
    Posted: 24 Nov 05 at 9:38pm

LDC set to launch new trapezing two man dinghy, the RS500.

Nick Peters, in the company's sales team, explained more about the potential market for the new design: "We have identified a significant gap"

... is there a significant gap?

Rick

Edited by Guest#260
les5269 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote les5269 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 05 at 9:43pm

Uhhmm no!

Is it asymmetric or symmetrical? 

Edited by les5269
49er 531 & 5000 5025 and a mirror(now gone to mirror heaven)!

Grafham water Sailing Club The greatest inland sailing in the country
Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 05 at 9:47pm

Asymmetric, made from GRP, metal mast one wire ...

Details are on "another website" no full pictures though ...

Rick

les5269 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote les5269 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 05 at 10:07pm
Wonder where they think the gap is ? Where will it fit between the trapeezes that are already on the market? What boat is going to give way to it if there isn't a gap?

Edited by les5269
49er 531 & 5000 5025 and a mirror(now gone to mirror heaven)!

Grafham water Sailing Club The greatest inland sailing in the country
fizzicist View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote fizzicist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 05 at 10:21pm
Are they actually allowed to call it RS500? That product name is registered by Ford! :p
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and
oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital
ingredient in beer.
Chris Noble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Noble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 05 at 10:43pm
What is the said "other website"??? sounds like a competitive design for the 4000 market yet i dont think it will carry much interest within the die hard 4000 circuit which has stood the test of time now for quite some years, yes the 4000 has some flaws but it is a very characteristic boat with a big following out there especially in europe
Competitive Boat Insurance From Noble Marine

FOR SALE:

I14 2 Masts 2 poles 3 Booms, Foils Kites/Mains/Jibs too many to list.
Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 05 at 10:52pm

Originally posted by fizzicist

Are they actually allowed to call it RS500? That product name is registered by Ford! :p

I would guess there is no problem with calling it an RS500 as it is in a very different product category and there is little chance of "passing off" or customer confusion.

The question is will it find a following with plenty of other good and popular single trapeze boats around ...

Rick

Hugh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 05 at 8:24am
I think there is a gap in their lineup.  There is a big jump between 400 and 800; especially is neither helm of crew are familiar with the wire.  I would expect to see something like a 4000, though hopefully more of a proper skiff. 

If they want to steal 4000 sailors then they should allow things like quick adjust strops and trapeze adjusters via splicing which although minor are a pita to adjust.  Having said that the 4000 is hard to beat bang for your buck if you want something with a good circuit, so the 500 had better be good!
Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 05 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Guest#260

Where did you get this info..... I can't seem to find anything on the web.

My mustard, for what its worth, is : I think he is talking about a gap in their range.... the term significant is just being colourful.

From the dinghy racers point of view, there obviously isn't a gap in the classes, but LDC won't care about that. They are following the text book market strategy of 'market saturation'. No doubt lots of corp' Bull S' will be knocking about like 'brand strength' and 'customer loyalty' but when you get down to it...... if they stop making new boats then they can only sell what the've already developed, so the companies growth is bound by the current classes popularity. And the 'new boat development' department/team will have to be scrapped/layed off/given a new direction...... so its only natural this team will be able to 'identify market gaps'.

As the potential customers I urge you all to show resraint in the face of massive marketing campains and sexy surfing through the spray photos. Only vote with your wallets if the new class can offer something tangebly different. Mind you..... Ive been saying this for 20 years and all I see at my club now is mini skiff esk production mouldings robbing technologies from quality established development classes, which then begg the same sailors to support them - ironic or just plain strange.

Sorry for the rant...... can anyone confirm this info  about the RS500 is true.

Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 05 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Bumble

Originally posted by Guest#260

Where did you get this info..... I can't seem to find anything on the web.

...... can anyone confirm this info  about the RS500 is true.

Details on "another" sailing website which is a subscription site ...

A gap in their range is very different to a gap in the market.

Rick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 34>