FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS500 ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 31323334>
Author
Chris 249 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 06 at 9:23am
I agree exactly that "skiff" has been highjacked by marketing people Allan - that's why I was trying to show it has got a certain historical meaning and is not just a slogan.

PS - Sorry, when I head a post admitting that I'm an anorak and use little faces, I assume people understand I'm not too serious, merely rabbiting on about a point I find interesting for certain reasons.

Edited by Chris 249
Black no sugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 06 at 9:54am
Calm down you two! As much as I relish the sound of an argument based on a point of vocabulary (much more relevant and riveting than a lot of the news these days), we've already had a long, rambling thread about the definition of a skiff, and it reached the same conclusion. Bis repetita non placent, well... maybe not all the time   Wink
Bumble View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 06 at 9:42am
At what point did this forum become multi lingual - wo bu xin yong ni men de hua, ting yong ying wen - if thats OK.
Matt Jackson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 06 at 1:06pm

Allan, this doesn't come from the rediculous hokey where our fellow Europeans want to call a Contender a skiff does it?

Some within our class have looked up exactly the dictionary definition of skiff above and decided that because of this the Contender is a skiff. It really annoys me because we are seeing a researgence currently which is in part because the RS600, RS700 and MPS have made the Contender less extreme looking and therefore more attainable be mere mortals. Calling ourselves a skiff will just reverse some of that.

If the Contander is a skiff then so is a Skipper and a Puffin (there's one for you historians).

Graduate 2157, Laser 147050
Robochimp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Robochimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 06 at 2:43pm
back on topic i think my uni has ordered aload of these things, but most of the sailors are novices so are under the impression that rs500 is really very quick
swiftsolo.org View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote swiftsolo.org Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 06 at 12:47am

Back off topic for a moment.

I agree that the term skiff has been hijacked by marketing people. I believe one of the reasons for this is that "dinghy" is such a grotty sounding word. If I try to explain to a non sailor that I enjoy dinghy sailing it doesn't conjure the best image in their mind. Maybe some guru should find a way to rebrand our the name of our sport with a more glamourous handle.

If we did this maybe the term skiff wouldn't be thrown around as much? 

Building a Swift Solo
First Australian Swift Solo
Sailing F28 Tri - family cruiser
Adds View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Adds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 06 at 3:12pm
Just logged onto the rssailing.com and there are some new pics of the RS500, looks as though it is sending it!! Looks pretty quick to me.
Cheers Dudes
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 06 at 5:56pm

Still looks a bit of a box though...

No figure for the weight, either. 

Edited by Medway Maniac
Andrewst View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andrewst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 06 at 6:12pm

I have spoken to a guy at RS and he says

"The hull weight is going to be in the region of 80kg with an all up sailing weight of around 118kg"

and the boat is aimed at the 115 to 165 weight range

Seems a bit like the L3000/V3000 with bigger sails!

Strawberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Strawberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 06 at 6:52pm
Still no pictures of the top of the rig.
Cherub 2649 "Dangerous Strawberry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 31323334>