New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Laser International: Saving the Sport of Sailing i
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser International: Saving the Sport of Sailing i

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
jeffers View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 18 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by mozzy

Interesting article here with Kim Anderson on the Laser equipment review. Most we already know. 

It doesn't seem that the Laser is under review because WS are upset with it, but just that all classes must be reviewed every 8 years if they are a SMOD. So that means Laser and RSX. 

Interesting the Anderson suggest the Finn is a monopoly too...

There's also talk of 'regulation 23' which is the process by which events and then equipment is chosen, which makes sense. But it does mean class lobbyists are fighting each other for longer and could end up shoe horning themselves in to an event to which their boat isn't suited, just to stay in the Olympics.  

There's also a bit saying how the new relay / combined point events may not be compatible with regulation 23 as they are 'pinnacle events' in the sport (they're not really event events at all in the sport!). 

I think the Laser will stay, what really interests me is how they sort out the weird combined single hander event and relay. 

There is the anti-trust thing for Laser as well which could play in (to do with EU monopoly laws I seem to recall).

Interesting how they see the Finn as a monopoly. The only reason for that is because Devoti make the best boat and have done for a very long time so all the top boys use them rather than because there are no other suppliers.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 18 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by jeffers

Interesting how they see the Finn as a monopoly. The only reason for that is...

Doesn't matter in the eyes of the law I believe.
Fatboi View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fatboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 18 at 2:41pm
Or it could be retribution for Luca kicking off that that the laser has a monopoly over the games. There are rumors in the finn fleet that he started the anti-corruption case against laser! 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 18 at 3:57pm
I think the anti-trust  / monopoly thing was out of fear of World Sailing being sued by the EC... was it Luca who spread that rumour in WS corridors and petitioned for a anti-trust policy to be drawn up? 

I thought the anti-trust thing was just something that legal side of WS was worried about and forced the policy on the events / equipment selection. Which I gather is really unwanted as it just adds more uncertainty.  
Peaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 18 at 4:21pm
I would have thought it was just a case of having a transparent selection policy for equipment, so you can’t be accused of corruption. Nothing personal against Laser per se.
KazRob View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 18 at 4:42pm
Nice to see the Melges 14 now has a ‘World Series’ to compete in - well ‘world’ if you mean USA and Italy only. It’s not quite got the universality of the Laser yet
OK 2139 & 2148
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 18 at 5:33pm
It's tenuous to say the 49er is not a monopoly, because AIUI, the multiple builders are all in a tight business arrangement.
I don't see it as that important that Devoti Finns are the only ones getting into the games, the point is that other builders can produce them, so you could have a local builder to cut costs at lower levels in the pyramid. Bit of a moot point because it's always going to be cheaper to campaign a Laser I suppose!
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 18 at 5:39pm
Is there nothing the EU don't think they can meddle in ? 
They will be bringing sailing licences in next, no just rocking up at the beach and launching, Sailing clubs will have to have proof you have taken and passed some sort of course, RYA levels will dictate what you are allowed to sail and where, lake and river licences won't count for the sea.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 18 at 6:21am
Originally posted by 423zero

They will be bringing sailing licences in next, no just rocking up at the beach and launching, Sailing clubs will have to have proof you have taken and passed some sort of course, RYA levels will dictate what you are allowed to sail and where, lake and river licences won't count for the sea.

Interesting comment especially when the RYA have removed coastal endorsements on a fair few of their courses.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
rodney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 18 at 7:30am
Originally posted by jeffers

Originally posted by 423zero

Interesting comment especially when the RYA have removed coastal endorsements on a fair few of their courses.

That may be more interesting than you think!  We used to have to produce an RYA certificate of competence in order to compete in European regattas and, I am guessing, that may be required after Brexit  Ouch

Edited by rodney - 26 Oct 18 at 7:31am
Rodney Cobb
Suntouched Sailboats Limited
http://www.suntouched.co.uk
[EMAIL=rodney@suntouched.co.uk">rodney@suntouched.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>