FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What would it take to reinvigorate this forum?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 17>
Author
ttc546 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ttc546 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 19 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by 423zero

Statistics at bottom of home page state 120 Active users and 110 guests, at the moment.
Would need to see site statistics for a definite answer, though wouldn't have thought site would get all the ads if it was in such dire straits ?

Probably Bots mainly, in terms of purported users. There can't be more than 20 regular users

Chris
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 19 at 6:28pm
I miss TT, and Merlinboy, they to me were the younger but still vocal element on here, and now they've grown artificially old, one gone off sea sweeping with the kids the other poncing around on a mountain bike with big wheels. It's what all sports suffer, natural wastage and they're not being replaced, at least not with folk with brains and banter. The Snowflake generation, so browbeaten into saying nothing for fear of confected offence.

TT's also right in that since the flurry of D Zero, Aero and the H2 there's nothing new to talk about, maybe I should have one last bash and try and get it right this time although I doubt there's a huge appetite for another Trapeze boat which is what I'd like, one suitable to both small lakes and the open sea.

Whatever it good to hear from you jimbo I wondered what happened to the sailing jihad fb group.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 19 at 6:57pm
If you filter topics by posts and views there's plenty of popular content recently. I think there are a decent amount of bots in the numbers though and you notice the numbers 'viewing' vary massively, when perhaps a filter is removing the bots from the system. 

When I posted back here in 2012 with a video it would get possibly 400-500 views overnight. The recent 200 video and 800 video i posted in this main forum got similar views as well. Youtube is pretty good at sorting proper views so I'd say it's a good indication that at least the amount of people lurking hasn't dramatically changed.  

Some of the sub forums are a bit surplus and could be merged, at the moment they can be a bit overlooked.  

Judging by the amount of people in real life who see my posts here and take the piss or cheekily quote them back to me I'd guess there are quite a few in the community who still stop by here. 

Edited by mozzy - 10 Sep 19 at 6:59pm
Ruscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 19 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by iGRF

I miss TT, and Merlinboy, they to me were the younger but still vocal element on here, and now they've grown artificially old, one gone off sea sweeping with the kids the other poncing around on a mountain bike with big wheels.

Ahh thanks Graeme, James just sent me a message to say you had said almost nostalgic. Albeit not sure itís factually correct as whilst we maybe young to you both James and I are either the early side of 40 or the very late side of 30 now.

turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 19 at 10:08pm
Thanks Graeme - I hope all is well in deepest, darkest Kent.

As Russ says, 41 now, plenty of time to grow old disgracefully.... and yes Jihad went down quietly.  No fanfare, no final post and crucially, no limp abandonment. It had served its purpose and killing it off was more about withdrawing from the host platform as it was the lack of content on the group.... unlike a once-cherished Laser, I saw no need for leaving it in the Facebook nettles, epecially for those f*ckers to sell advertising and user profiling against it.

And cheers Sam and Robert - happy sailing fellas, hope you had a nice summer.

Edited by turnturtle - 10 Sep 19 at 10:29pm
Peaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 19 at 10:14pm
So nice to see so many back, even if only for a brief visit. Hope youíre all well even if youíre not sailing at the moment.

Edited by Peaky - 10 Sep 19 at 10:14pm
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 19 at 11:52pm
Coincidentally, I did get back to sailing on Sunday.  Well, sort of sailing  Ermm
Who can spot the deliberate error?  Not exactly deliberate, actually: we started in light airs and the wind picked up when the photo was taken. Regrettably, Waybarge class rules insist you use a tack pin on the boom...

Edited by Medway Maniac - 10 Sep 19 at 11:52pm
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 19 at 5:48am
Originally posted by Medway Maniac

Coincidentally, I did get back to sailing on Sunday.† Well, sort of sailing† Ermm
Who can spot the deliberate error?† Not exactly deliberate, actually: we started in light airs and the wind picked up when the photo was taken. Regrettably, Waybarge class rules insist you use a tack pin on the boom...

I sailed at Wilsonian for a decade in my Fireball ( last century). I remember my first sail at Blithfield after moving up and doing a brief check of the tide run on bouy #1 - and being surprised that there wasnt one!
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 19 at 8:16am
Originally posted by ian.r.mcdonald

I sailed at Wilsonian for a decade in my Fireball ( last century). I remember my first sail at Blithfield after moving up and doing a brief check of the tide run on bouy #1 - and being surprised that there wasnt one!
Yes, the tide on the Medway is a real bonus.  Not too strong (like on the lower Thames), but enough to make a real difference if you play it right, and because the flow and the wind are different every week it keeps you interested - I'd be bored within a couple of years on a reservoir.
NickM99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 19 at 9:46am
Who says this forum is not followed much? that's 40 people who have registered what boats they have had in three days...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 17>