FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Boat List

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Old bloke View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Old bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 19 at 2:57pm
Among the obvious boats we have 3 rarities, Jacksnipe, Spearhead and 59r.
Good boats that just didn't make it , or solutions to a problem that didnt exist?
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 19 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Old bloke

Good boats that just didn't make it , or solutions to a problem that didnt exist?

Only you can say  Smile 
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
tink View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 19 at 5:02pm

That Spearheaded is something else, clearly the problem was someone wanted a 1/4T IOR boat but only had one friend. 
Tink
https://tinkboats.wordpress.com/

http://proasail.blogspot.com
Dougaldog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougaldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 19 at 8:30am
Putting the 59er to one side as that is far more a product of the modern age, both the Jacksnipe and Spearhead were good boats, with the latter surely deserving a better epitaph than 'a quarter tonner for a sailor with one friend'.

However, they have to be seen as products of their time that we subjected to the problems of  build issues, politics (including the politics of the international scene) and the 'slings and arrows of outrageous fortunes'. How one boat could have so much bad luck in so short a time.....or the other boat suffer initially from poor quality control and then become a toxic political football to kick around, should not detract from their undoubted intentions to raise the bar in development terms.

Just the other week my searches turned up a nice example of another  candidate that could easily join the Spearhead and Jacksnipe, the Peter Milne designed Bullet aka the Baby 'ball.

I was reminded recently of my series that Dinghy Mag carried ...must be 15 years ago now, titled the 'Lost Classes', which took a more detailed look at boats that are no longer with us. Yes, of course there were some howlers in there, but there was also no shortage of cleverly designed examples, across the range of genres, that either never got past the prototype (or prototype plus a handful) OR sold enough to be a runaway success by the standards of today....yet still vanished from trace apart from the odd barn find and E-bay bargain. Maybe it is time for a reworking of Lost Classes, it is on the list but there are more pressing articles ahead of it - for now!

If it were not for the people behind these boats and others...and in this list one would have to include the likes of iGRF who put money on the line to follow his own philosophy of design, not just the boats were sail, but the sport itself would be a bland and far less interesting place to be!

Dougal
Dougal H
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 19 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Dougaldog

Putting the 59er to one side as that is far more a product of the modern age, both the Jacksnipe and Spearhead were good boats, with the latter surely deserving a better epitaph than 'a quarter tonner for a sailor with one friend'.

However, they have to be seen as products of their time that we subjected to the problems of  build issues, politics (including the politics of the international scene) and the 'slings and arrows of outrageous fortunes'. How one boat could have so much bad luck in so short a time.....or the other boat suffer initially from poor quality control and then become a toxic political football to kick around, should not detract from their undoubted intentions to raise the bar in development terms.

Just the other week my searches turned up a nice example of another  candidate that could easily join the Spearhead and Jacksnipe, the Peter Milne designed Bullet aka the Baby 'ball.

I was reminded recently of my series that Dinghy Mag carried ...must be 15 years ago now, titled the 'Lost Classes', which took a more detailed look at boats that are no longer with us. Yes, of course there were some howlers in there, but there was also no shortage of cleverly designed examples, across the range of genres, that either never got past the prototype (or prototype plus a handful) OR sold enough to be a runaway success by the standards of today....yet still vanished from trace apart from the odd barn find and E-bay bargain. Maybe it is time for a reworking of Lost Classes, it is on the list but there are more pressing articles ahead of it - for now!

If it were not for the people behind these boats and others...and in this list one would have to include the likes of iGRF who put money on the line to follow his own philosophy of design, not just the boats were sail, but the sport itself would be a bland and far less interesting place to be!

Dougal

Wasnít intending to disparage the Spearhead, just to my eyes it just looks like a boat designed to stretch a rating rule. The one friend was just about the fact that it is S/H.

Now the Bullet, from what little I can find it is a shame it didnít catch on. Probably expensive for a youth boat. The flooding buoyancy tanks still lives on in Solway Dory. It is a very strange sport we participate in and we have so many unrecognised individuals to thank. At 23 I thought I had the next big thing in my grasp, clearly I didnít but it was a great journey and led to other adventures. 
Tink

Old bloke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 19 at 5:07pm
Tink, hopefully RB will tell us which Spearhead he sailed, I assumed it was the "improvement"on the 505 with a spaceframe for the rig. Mr Google tells me there was a South African cold moulded trapeze boat also.I cant find a s/h one but you may well know better
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 19 at 5:16pm

Tink, hopefully RB will tell us which Spearhead he sailed, I assumed it was the "improvement"on the 505 with a spaceframe for the rig. Mr Google tells me there was a South African cold moulded trapeze boat also.I cant find a s/h one but you may well know better
Not sure where S/H came from I think it was only double handed
Tink

Dougaldog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougaldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 19 at 5:26pm
Be in no doubt, those cold moulded SA boats had the potential to be very quick with those who sailed them rating them highly.  However, the 5o5 was already established out  in the 'dark continent' and as I've researched the 5o5 story for the book, I've been surprised how strong the class was out there, SA, Rhodesia and other old colonial countries. Also interestingly, the Contender was also strong in the same locations.....

The other Spearhead, the late 1970s performance two-man boat, was  so put it mildly, an interesting proposition. There was talk of a project to 'sort' the rig that I was going to be a part of but then after the whole backing for the boat went up in smoke (literally!!) we did other things. But I could  see the potential for the boat, in light airs, inland....yes, it could have been quick. But a single hander - sorry no, not that I'm aware of.

The space frame also needed some sorting but it is easy to forget how difficult it was back then to lock in the hull stiffness, as was proved by the 470s as this was the time when you could all but destroy a hull in a couple of events with excessive rig tension.

Bullet is a BIG story for a small boat but it was not the first to be using flooding side tanks!

D
Dougal H
rb_stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 19 at 9:37pm
Yep, our Spearhead had the spaceframe and rotating mast. We did suffer some delamination, probably due to the light build the spaceframe allowed.

Was a very quick boat, that i recall rated quicker than a 505.

Edited by rb_stretch - 15 Sep 19 at 9:38pm
CT249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CT249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 19 at 4:23am
Both the Spearheads look good, but contrary to the implications from the designer the British one wasn't the first "space frame" boat. Offshore yachts like the famous "Imp" had been using them since 1976/77, and they were in 18s and 12s in the late '70s. By 1981 some of the 18s were using carbon space frames, which is the sort of thing you can do when someone hands you 75,000 pounds (in today's money) for one season's sailing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>