FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My boat list - next boat thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 19 at 12:58pm
Following a conversation at the cvrda national rally, the next boat will have to be a very cheap (less than £100) boat that no one thinks exists any more. Maybe a TV dinghy, or a Mailboat. Saw a Prout Pioneer on ebay, but too far gone. All of those were made from that wonder material, Polystyrene, and would dissolve if there was oil in the water...

Otherwise, I just need to actually sail the boats I have.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
JohnW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 19 at 2:31pm
The boat I would like to try is a Shooting Star - for no other reason that I saw one as a kid in the 70's and thought it looked cool.
I am aware of one still in existence, but not sure if could be sailed anymore. 
Perhaps I should drop the owner a line?

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 19 at 4:03pm
Yes, you really should!
Dougaldog View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougaldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 19 at 4:48pm
"The boat I would like to try is a Shooting Star - for no other reason that I saw one as a kid in the 70's and thought it looked cool.
I am aware of one still in existence, but not sure if could be sailed anymore. 
Perhaps I should drop the owner a line?"

Is that still with a Mr Bratt - he lived as far as I can remember between Weymouth and Bridport. Like you I saw the original sailing  - so many ideas on one boat, how to find out which one worked and which didn't. (though many of the ideas were not that original...Ö but then, what is?

I'd love to go and see this and record as much as I could for the archives, in the interests of saving something of what is an interesting part of our development heritage, could you set something up - I'd then write it up for an article on here!

Dougal
Dougal H
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 19 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by iGRF

I want to have one last go at my own design, probably still along the lines of the 'trike' mono bow into twin aft hulls, maybe more rounded canoe style this time so it'll work on inland water, and be more narrow so trapezing or racks can be an option. Trapeze for the sea and rack/seats for the lake, a mast that rakes from the foot would be a bonus to raise and lower the boom subject to conditions on the fly. About 420 long so it'll have no problem with Lasers off the line and target weight south of 45 kgs.

Or I just cave in to convention and join the Contenders and accept I'll be punished when its windy.
Do the build, we only ever regret the things we donít do 
Tink
https://tinkboats.wordpress.com/

http://proasail.blogspot.com
JohnW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 19 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Dougaldog

Is that still with a Mr Bratt - he lived as far as I can remember between Weymouth and Bridport. Like you I saw the original sailing  - so many ideas on one boat, how to find out which one worked and which didn't. (though many of the ideas were not that original...Ö but then, what is?

I'd love to go and see this and record as much as I could for the archives, in the interests of saving something of what is an interesting part of our development heritage, could you set something up - I'd then write it up for an article on here!

Dougal

I will send you a PM
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 19 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by tink

Originally posted by iGRF

I want to have one last go at my own design, probably still along the lines of the 'trike' mono bow into twin aft hulls, maybe more rounded canoe style this time so it'll work on inland water, and be more narrow so trapezing or racks can be an option. Trapeze for the sea and rack/seats for the lake, a mast that rakes from the foot would be a bonus to raise and lower the boom subject to conditions on the fly. About 420 long so it'll have no problem with Lasers off the line and target weight south of 45 kgs.

Or I just cave in to convention and join the Contenders and accept I'll be punished when its windy.

Do the build, we only ever regret the things we donít do†

Hmm, not on my list were a plywood Silhouette rebuild that never got finished and a rotten to the core Firefly. Both I regret!
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 19 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by NickM99

Probably a Mirror as a second boat to take small grandchildren out in and get them interested in sailing.† They can also mess around rowing it and I can stick a small outboard on it and go to a pub when there is no wind.† Can't think of another boat that ticks all those boxes.

Whilst I am sure the new alloy rig is great, but the old wooden rig and its ability to be stowed inside the hull is great. Memories of the National school regatta on the Deben in the 60s, running against the tide in fleet of 60, and losing 5 places if you went out into the flow to overtake.

rb_stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 19 at 7:57pm
Quite happy to keep my Aero as my sailing skills enter into slow decline. On the big boat front, could be tempted to swap my Jeanneau Sun2000 for a Seascape/First 27, when the kids have flown the nest.
The Moo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 19 at 8:18pm
Quite fancy the idea of an old tunnel Hull scow Int Moth.....Failing that perhaps a Vortex, probably easier to source and a lot less hassle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>