New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Solent based club with SATURDAY racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Solent based club with SATURDAY racing

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
H2 View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 17
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 561
Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solent based club with SATURDAY racing
    Posted: 01 Aug 20 at 8:20pm
Hi - interested in finding an active club on or around Solent that holds club racing on a SATURDAY as I cannot do Sundays. Google would suggest that Lee-on-Solent and Itchenor seem to race on Saturdays and perhaps Weston (although am not sure).

Have I missed any options? Thanks
H2 #115
Back to Top
Fatboi View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king


Joined: 09 Aug 16
Location: Hampshire
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 176
Post Options Post Options   Quote Fatboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 20 at 12:37pm
If your willing to go as far as Itchenor, then HISC also has Saturday sailing as well as Sunday.

Normally weds eve too
Back to Top
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work


Joined: 27 Jun 17
Location: Lee on Solent
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 242
Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 20 at 4:56pm
Lee on solent SC 
We race normally 14.30 start Saturdays but at present we have split it to RS400 and fast handicap Midday start, single handers and 2000 plus odds and sods 1500 start to keep the numbers down around the club.
I would welcome another fast single hander to give Mr Cockerill a hard time in his 300.
Gordon
Phantom 1430
Back to Top
H2 View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 17
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 561
Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 20 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Fatboi

If your willing to go as far as Itchenor, then HISC also has Saturday sailing as well as Sunday.

Normally weds eve too

Thanks! Had not looked at HISC but worth adding to the list. It is much more expensive than the alternatives but I do like that you can sail in the harbour or get out to the sea more quickly than the other Chichester clubs.
H2 #115
Back to Top
H2 View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 17
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 561
Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 20 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Gordon 1430

Lee on solent SC 
We race normally 14.30 start Saturdays but at present we have split it to RS400 and fast handicap Midday start, single handers and 2000 plus odds and sods 1500 start to keep the numbers down around the club.
I would welcome another fast single hander to give Mr Cockerill a hard time in his 300.

Yeah, not sure I will be challenging Steve much :-) I have always wondered how being so exposed to prevailing wind and waves affected the number of days that you simply cannot launch at places like Lee on Solent or Stokes Bay and would love your view on that. Am planning to come visit a handful of clubs over the coming months and would love to come and join in one Saturday and see if my face fits - who do I speak to to see if that possible? Ta
H2 #115
Back to Top
Mozzy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 21 Apr 20
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 78
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 20 at 10:48am
HISC is cheaper than Itchenor. 

Itchenor do lots of class racing and I think boat storage is very limited and favours those fleets.

HISC you're paying for the location / facilities rather than the quality of racing.

HISC you have the huge balcony, on-site accommodation, back beach for family and kids. Windsurf and SUP storage. Loads of boat hire. It's an amazing place. But if you only want to race your own boat followed by a beer with a few like minded individuals, then Stokes and Lee on Solent are much better value. 

When I sailed the 49er at Stokes launching did kill off a few days, and the same would be true at Lee. But once you've got a technique it's not as bad as you might imagine. The single handers like lasers seemed to manage it in any conditions. But they didn't mind their boats bouncing on the bottom. Sailing out (or getting back in) over Hayling Bar in a similar wind strength is jsut as intimidating (although at HISC you have the option of staying inside). More frustrating in summer for the central solent is the sea breeze gets super weird at Stokes and often takes an hour or two more to get settled that at Hayling. 
Back to Top
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work


Joined: 27 Jun 17
Location: Lee on Solent
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 242
Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 20 at 1:26pm
H2
Let me know when your coming and I will show you around. Lee on Solent has a stunning new clubhouse nearing completion (covid has delayed the builders ). My guess is mid October.
Sea breeze is often earlier to us than Stokes Bay and generally a bit stronger.  As Mozzy says you get used to launching of the beach and we are quite good at helping each other.
Yes we do lose the odd day through to much wind and sometimes just not enough.
As you have a H2 have you spoken to Adrian at Warsash (orange H2)? 
Regards
Gordon now Phantom 1465

 
Gordon
Phantom 1430
Back to Top
H2 View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 17
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 561
Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 20 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Gordon 1430

H2
Let me know when your coming and I will show you around. Lee on Solent has a stunning new clubhouse nearing completion (covid has delayed the builders ). My guess is mid October.
Sea breeze is often earlier to us than Stokes Bay and generally a bit stronger.  As Mozzy says you get used to launching of the beach and we are quite good at helping each other.
Yes we do lose the odd day through to much wind and sometimes just not enough.
As you have a H2 have you spoken to Adrian at Warsash (orange H2)? 
Regards
Gordon now Phantom 1465

 

Hey Gordon - yes I saw that there was a new clubhouse on the way, which is nice to have but for me the draw is sailing / racing on the sea which I desperately miss. There are a number of H2s along that stretch of coast including Adrian plus one other now at Warsash and Chris has one at Netley too but those clubs do not race on Saturdays and Warsash races hardly at all as far as I  can work out! Will get in touch before I come!
H2 #115
Back to Top
H2 View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 17
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 561
Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 20 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Mozzy

HISC is cheaper than Itchenor. 

Itchenor do lots of class racing and I think boat storage is very limited and favours those fleets.

HISC you're paying for the location / facilities rather than the quality of racing.

HISC you have the huge balcony, on-site accommodation, back beach for family and kids. Windsurf and SUP storage. Loads of boat hire. It's an amazing place. But if you only want to race your own boat followed by a beer with a few like minded individuals, then Stokes and Lee on Solent are much better value. 

When I sailed the 49er at Stokes launching did kill off a few days, and the same would be true at Lee. But once you've got a technique it's not as bad as you might imagine. The single handers like lasers seemed to manage it in any conditions. But they didn't mind their boats bouncing on the bottom. Sailing out (or getting back in) over Hayling Bar in a similar wind strength is jsut as intimidating (although at HISC you have the option of staying inside). More frustrating in summer for the central solent is the sea breeze gets super weird at Stokes and often takes an hour or two more to get settled that at Hayling. 

True Mozzy - had not looked at ISC charges as realistically it was less appealing than Lee on Solent (I was a member of ISC 20 years ago and got asked to leave after a particularly rowdy overnight stay.... :-) but back to the topic! I think you are right HISC does have many other benefits than a standard club but I am the kind of person that shows up, races and then leaves because I always feel bad about time away from my family so I would be paying for a bunch of stuff I did not use which probably gravitates me to Lee as a solution!
H2 #115
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz
Change your personal settings, or read our privacy policy