FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RYA Wokebomb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
Oatsandbeans View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 21 at 3:50pm
I was amazed by the standard of the changing rooms at WPNSA when I was there a few years back-a bit sh!t and I have seen some changing rooms in my time
jeffers View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 21 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by davidyacht

Originally posted by jeffers

Originally posted by davidyacht

Snip
My point made in previous posts is that in order to deliver a scaleable sailing experience to bring people from all walks of life into sailing, a modern sports centre with a slipway, of which WPNSA is a good example, is a good way to do it, and there is more to this than the bricks and mortar.  A dinghy racing club with volunteer overload may be less effective, particularly if there is a turnover and shortage of volunteers, who in any case may not be trained or be the best people to deliver.

Have you looked at the costs of keeping a boat at WPNSA? It certainly isn't cheap!

You cannot just rock up and launch from there either IIRC.

Not suggesting that it is cheap.  I have been visiting there for a few years for Solo events.  I am always struck by the level of sporting activity including loads of kids under supervision of instructors, dragon boat racing, triathlons etc. etc.  It appears to me that the sports club with a slipway and paid employees may be the way where watersports will proliferate in the future.  

It may not be what we like or are used to, but the demographics of race and sex are not as set in stone as many clubs, and I don't think that there are the same barriers to participation.

Most of the youth stuff is by Andrew Simpson Sailing Foundation (based in the big wooden sheds near the northern slip).

For an event they are great, we had our nationals there. They made it very easy for the class and reasonably priced too. I volunteered at NSSA there as well, that was a great event only spoiled by the stereotypical oppi parents who refused to wait until the NSSA attendees had cleared the boat park area. This was despite them being pointedly told by the dinghy park manager they were not allowed in to the areas occupied by the NSSA teams until after 6pm on the final day.... 

As for clubs, there will be a place for Sailing Clubs but they need to diversify into other areas of water sports. My own club permits paddling (kayaks, SUPs, canoes) and are currently talking about allowing open water swimming training. Sailing will always be the primary focus but allowing the other sports appeals to families where some might not want to sail but will happily go for a paddle.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 21 at 7:44am
Originally posted by DiscoBall

Appears being operative word David - can you furnish any evidence that this is a specifically modern phenomenon and that the 'old days' were measurably better? 

I think I can point to why we are seeing more problems obtaining volunteers, basically the early retirement generation of the mid 90's are now well into their 70's. We've had quite a good innings out of them, but because they did such a good job at many clubs there hasn't been the need for others to do some of the very basic stuff that the Wednesday afternoon clubs have taken care of.

Necessity breeds invention and if you don't need to do things you don't make the time do you?

I'm not necessarily sure that the 60's, 70's or 80's were "better" as such in any way apart from perhaps it might have been easier to find members and members wanted to join a club rather than use a facility? We have lost the ethos that the member also gives to the club in the last 15-20 years I think, party because we had it covered and also maybe partly because its no longer PC for clubs to want to attract the "right" sort of member? If you have to jump through a few hoops to be part of a body of people you are more likely to contribute in order to belong - and that ethos has gone from many clubs, mainly the inner city ones. I'm not saying that this is entirely a bad thing at all, but it might have drifted slightly too far?

Just think how many clubs do interviews? Ask occupation? Its important for the club to know its members and while an interview is a forced situation it might be less intimidating that walking into a noisy bar full of people you don't know?

The days of the ultra exclusive, black ball system, tie in the bar clubs are largely long gone except in a very small circle and this is better for the sport without doubt. But the sport does also need to use its participants.

Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 21 at 5:33am
We all really ought to be able to learn something from this COVID experience. Many people have reassessed their priorities both through choice and force work. We appear to be seeing a rise in the appreciation for more basic values of community, outside space, creativity. If we look forward to a refreshed way of thinking possibly we will also see our particular interest of water activities in a new light which offers solutions instead of looking for problems.  
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 21 at 7:09am
Thats a good point, we are in a bit of a state of flux at the moment. 

To expect a full return to what we had in 2019 is probably unrealistic because we have changed as a population, I think most clubs can glean a positive or two from the pandemic (Zoom meetings, equipment cleaning regimen) that wont be going away anytime soon.

The point about basic values is also a good one, and might tie in to my take on the "old days" with people being prepared to give more time. The trouble is I think time will still be a precious commodity - but has it ever been anything else?
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 21 at 8:25am
All good stuff Paramedic and Do Different. Fully in agreement (almost, I'm not sure about interviews in this day and age). The pandemic has given us a golden opportunity to make changes that will help reduce climate change, fewer overseas flights and less travel generally (both commuting and leisure) but I fear the government will squander it to support the airline industry  Disapprove
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 21 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

(almost, I'm not sure about interviews in this day and age).

No, and I get that, but i'm thinking in a context of getting to know your prospective new member so that you can better engage them rather than to see if they are suitable membership material.

It could obviously work out that the second, old fashioned, point is also answered by the first!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314