FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Charmin Speed Freaks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pierre View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charmin Speed Freaks
    Posted: 25 Aug 06 at 2:16pm
When I was 19 and having a "year out" (which turned into 3) and earning my crust as a musician to travel. I was crewing an old 45ft Hilliard Schooner down to Gibralter from Southampton (long story.... lasted nearly 3 years)......... Anyway, left Camaret in NW France to cross Biscay.  Heavy weather and a half. Bloody big waves, loads of wind and very exciting.  Was plotting our course by triangulating radio beacons etc and thought we hadn't moved far in 4 hours.  Come first light I look behind and there is a flag following us.........  Gracious me, we've picked up a lobster pot on the rudder !!!

I woke the skipper and told him his wife had picked up a lobster pot at some stage.  She wasn't going to get it off and neither was he, so muggins has to put flippers, mask and snorkel on, tie a line round me to the boat and go over the back with a knife.  Bearing in mind the weather and sea state, a crash helmet would have been good as well.  Jump over the back and start hacking away at the cable in between trying not to drown.  Eventually I cut the cable and of course the boat sets off like a bullet.....  there is about 20ft of lifeline been payed out and when it takes up the slack I am winded and doing dolphin impressions behind the boat.  They eventually reel me in over the side and it took me 15 minutes to stop gagging and shaking.

On reflection, it makes me laugh, but loosened my bowels somewhat at the time.

Minor revenge on the skipper as his daughter interfered quite severely with me when we reached northern Spain.

Pierre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 06 at 11:34am
I thought so as well as it happens.  Nice memory though......
Black no sugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 06 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

Originally posted by Pierre

Minor revenge on the skipper as his daughter interfered quite severely with me when we reached northern Spain.

That was Lucky Pierre. 

Nah, nothing to do with Lucky! When you've got the looks and the charm, you don't need Lucky!

Pierre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 06 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Black no sugar

Originally posted by turnturtle

Originally posted by Pierre

That was Lucky Pierre. 

Nah, nothing to do with Lucky! When you've got the looks and the charm, you don't need Lucky!

And I am quite happy to believe her   (BnS has oodles of both...... and she is a very stylish website designer as well)

Edited by Pierre
Black no sugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 06 at 7:14pm
Embarrassed Embarrassed Ohhhhhhhh thank you Pierre Big smile I feel so lucky to have friends like you!
 Post Reply Post Reply