FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts on the Laser Vago

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
English Dave View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote English Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 06 at 11:08am

As new boats go, the Vago is pretty good value. Obviously there isn't a great second-hand market at the moment.

We have one Vago at the club that races against other two handed boats - RS200, Laser 2000 and Fireball. And it seems to do OK (it has won on Hcap the past two weeks).

Marketing has been a little suspect and Laser need to work on this because I am trying hard to think of a boat that they have produced since the L2 that has succeeded. L3000 - discontinued. L5000 - not a 49er. Vortex - sold a few more than the EPS. You get the drift. The only recentish boat that has a good following is the L4000 and Laser have suggested the Vago in XD mode is almost as fast as a 4000. Chinny-reckon!

I think the Vago sits most comfortably alongside the Vareo. If you have a regular crew then get something else like a 4000 or 29er. If you are going to be sailing half the time solo then the Vago is worth a look.

English Dave
Ballyholme Yacht Club

(You'd think I'd be better at it by now)

Hurricane 5.9 SX
RS700
olly_love View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote olly_love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 06 at 12:42pm

i found them a biut flexiable and go bow high alot.

it is a good training boat but i cant see many people wanting to race them

go for a buzz or a 29er

TWO FRANK-Hunter Impala

PaulUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PaulUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 06 at 1:24pm

Hi

Bought my Vago about 10 months ago now and find it to be great fun. Sails well with one or two.

Dont race, so dont really care what that lot think!

Sailed an Enterprise before that but wanted something with a bit more versatility.

Have fun

Paul

Sail No. 303

PaulUK
CurlyBen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CurlyBen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 06 at 1:57pm
Not sure I'd really recommend the Vago for predominantly single handed sailing, certainly with any breeze and the XD rig it can be difficult/impossible to bear away out of a tack. I've had to gybe it instead on occasions. It's also a pretty heavy boat on the shore, though it's not too bad on the water. The plastic can be fairly slippery when it's wet, which can be an issue for getting back onto the board when capsized. Having said that it's fun downwind in a blow with a crew - as long as the pintle bolts hold!
RS800 GBR848
Weston SC
PaulUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PaulUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 06 at 12:45pm

Originally posted by CurlyBen

Not sure I'd really recommend the Vago for predominantly single handed sailing, certainly with any breeze and the XD rig it can be difficult/impossible to bear away out of a tack. I've had to gybe it instead on occasions. It's also a pretty heavy boat on the shore, though it's not too bad on the water. 

On the Standard rig it easily sailed singlehanded in a breeze and can of course be reefed. I have sailed singlehanded with the XD rig and the kite up in lighter airs! It is probably better with two (both onshore and in the water) but is quite manageble with one.

Paul

PaulUK
CurlyBen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CurlyBen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 06 at 5:41pm
I've only properly single handed the Vago once, and I was using the jib and kite then anyway. However, when sailing out with relatively rookie crews I often didn't use the jib and got some scared looks when I had to head straight at a jetty before a gybe! I think that was with the XD rig, and admittedly the foils weren't fully down - not enough water! Still, I can't say I'd recommend the Vago, though I can't think of a better alternative that wants to be both a proper single hander and a proper double hander. Just not an idea that I think really works!
RS800 GBR848
Weston SC
Pesmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pesmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 06 at 7:20pm

Sailed the Vago a couple of times as a single hander with just the main. Even though I am 110kg and have sailed all sorts of boats, I never quite felt comfortable. It felt to me like one of those boats that goes from being a placid nice easy sail, to a very difficult boat indeed with a very small increase in wind. That may of course have been what the designers intended.

All the other folks who took it out the week I was there had stronger winds than me and even though were double handed spent significant time swimming or completely inverted.

I would need to sail it some more to give it any seal of approval.

yellowhammer View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowhammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 06 at 11:24pm

check this out, from the Vago forum (pump up the volume)

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-20132458682747327 10

you have to admit the Italians (?) do it in style!

(spot the double capsize)

Laser 3000 @ Leigh & Lowton SC
www.3000class.org.uk
ifoxwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 06 at 12:58pm

it does show how heavy and flexible the boat...

There is a good breeze blowing and its struggling to push enough water aside to get upto any kinda speed

Wave Rider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 06 at 2:38pm

I see its bow high problem.

-[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>