FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

29er

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Smight at BBSC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Smight at BBSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 29er
    Posted: 18 Sep 07 at 9:36pm
Crew weight anyone? 23 stone too much?
RS600 988
Ross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 07 at 9:40pm
Taken from the Ovington website:
"The 29er provides sparkling performance at an affordable price, for crews between 110 - 135 kg, making this an ideal boat for husband/wife teams as well as for younger sailors."
Ross
If you can't carry it, don't sail it!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Smight at BBSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 07 at 9:47pm

yea but that doesn't seem like much to me only about 21 stone

RS600 988
Ross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 07 at 9:55pm
Well, to heavy for a 29er? Go 49er! 21 stone seems to light, I reckon you'll be fine at 23 stone. I sail the 3000 with a combined weight of 21 stone.
Ross
If you can't carry it, don't sail it!
Prince Buster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 07 at 10:45pm
I usually sail my 29er with a crew weight of 23 stone and we are definitely on the heavy side - struggle quite a lot in any lightness.  Sometimes I sail with my cousin and we're 20 stone together and are pretty much perfect in terms of weight for performance across the wind range.  The thing about the 29er is that it's dog slow in displacement mode so you want to be powered up and planing on all points of sailing as soon as possible to be competitive, especially in handicap fleets.  The rig also depowers very effectively and the boat can be driven well by a light crew even when the wind really gets up.  
international moth - "what what?"
wetandwindy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetandwindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 07 at 10:55pm

"Well, to heavy for a 29er? Go 49er! 21 stone seems to light, I reckon you'll be fine at 23 stone. I sail the 3000 with a combined weight of 21 stone."

Nah

Get a 59er with a wire, it's like a 29er but much faster. We sail with about 21-22 stone and 23 would be about perfect.

RULE 99.9 section A: Fast boats with big spinnakers have right of way.
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 07 at 1:05am
Originally posted by wetandwindy

Get a 59er with a wire, it's like a 29er but much faster. We sail with about 21-22 stone and 23 would be about perfect.

And your sailing committee let you get away with that on the usual PY of 905?

lazy mavis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote lazy mavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 07 at 9:38am
23 stone? Perfect weight for a B14

mavis x

whatever

Post Options Post Options   Quote Smight at BBSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 07 at 1:20pm

yea i know but it's not up to me, i have a boat, i'm just going through the options for mopps, who is currently looking  

thanks guys i thought we'd be too heavy

RS600 988
wetandwindy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetandwindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 07 at 4:42pm

[/QUOTE]

And your sailing committee let you get away with that on the usual PY of 905?

[/QUOTE]

Oh yes. For now at least, Dave Hall suggests it may go down to 875 or 880. Given that our closest competitors sail Laser2000s and a Blaze their handicaps are at least as favourable as ours.

RULE 99.9 section A: Fast boats with big spinnakers have right of way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>