FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser EPS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Smight at BBSC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Smight at BBSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser EPS
    Posted: 06 Jan 08 at 9:23pm

A guy from wilsonian has come down to bbsc for the iccicle series and while Redback, among others, inspected his EPS (no wind to go sailing) we notice the 'mast collar' where the gnav meets the mast had some worrying cracks in it. The sleaving is made of aluminium and the mast is carbon and they don't seem to be getting on very well    Also the carbon around the sheaving seems to have delaminated and become exposed. Also seemed to me to look swollen. Obviously this needs to be repaired before this guy loses a mast but how would one go about doing so.

Thanks

Smight

RS600 988
mike ellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mike ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 08 at 9:26pm
sounds like its too late, the aluminium and carbon have already reacted. if the mast is in sections get a new section, if not, hes a bit stuffed.
600 732, will call it Sticks and Stones when i get round to it.
Also International 14, 1318
Villan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Villan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 08 at 9:28pm
let it break, and get a new one on the insurance
Vareo - 149 "Secrets"
TandyUK Servers
Ross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 08 at 9:33pm

Might not work, as most insurers require you to actually look after your boat.

Ross
If you can't carry it, don't sail it!
mike ellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mike ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 08 at 9:37pm
it seems to be a design fault, carbon and aluminium, go and moan to laser. say something along the lines of "RS changed the design of the 600 due to a very similar problem (old angel masts with aluminium sleeves)"

Edited by mike ellis
600 732, will call it Sticks and Stones when i get round to it.
Also International 14, 1318

Post Options Post Options   Quote Smight at BBSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 08 at 9:46pm

Yea but we were worried that if he broke his mast laser wouldn't be able to replace it because they ceased production of the boat, and i'm guessing spars and sails, a good while ago. I sure the mast is in sections good idea mike but who can you get to do something like that?

Cheers Guys and gals

RS600 988
aardvark_issues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aardvark_issues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 08 at 10:01pm
I'd be amazed if it has reacted - from what I remember of the EPS mast collar it was ballraced so the actual sleeve wasn't in contact.

Might be easier said than done to get an EPS mast now too. Bit of a shame really as I found them quite nice to sail and certainly weren't given the attention they needed from Laser.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Smight at BBSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 08 at 10:25pm
Ballraced? For the non-boatbuilder literate please  I've only heard good things about the way they sail.
RS600 988
m_liddell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote m_liddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 08 at 10:31pm
Apparently laser got rid of it because of the huge hours they too to make mostly due to the wing type side decks.

It amazes me how many times companies like topper, laser etc screw up with material choice in boats.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 08 at 6:01am
Originally posted by aardvark_issues

I'd be amazed if it has reacted - from what I remember of the EPS mast collar it was ballraced so the actual sleeve wasn't in contact.

I've taken on of these masts apart - I acquired one of the prototypes to use as raw material for some boat hacking. The ball race thing isn't anything to do with it. Like a lot of early carbon singlehander spars there is an alloy sleeve inside the mast to beef up the bottom. On the one I saw (prototype remember) it was coated in parcel tape to insulate it, but things like rivets went through. So in the very long term elctrolytic conversion was pretty much inevitable unless something very clever could be done about corrosion.

As to how to fix it. Umm. I suppose in theory you could fabricate a carbon sleeve over the whole disintegrating layer and go from there, but what with tracks and the bearing thing its quite an ask... I fear its a new tube. If its not possible to source one from Laser then all you could do would be to get a one off one fabricated, using the existing collar/bearing. Not cheap.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>