FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS Vision or Topper Xenon !!??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Anton Creasy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Anton Creasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS Vision or Topper Xenon !!??
    Posted: 11 Mar 08 at 8:00am

Hi everyone,

I need your help as I am at a loss! I am looking for a fast boat costing around 4,000 second hand that can be beached (without costly damage to gelcoats) and that can be used for a trip to the beach for a picnic for 4 and my 2 year old daughter. I also do not want to lose too much money when I come to sell it...

The conclusions I have reached so far are a plastic boat (because it can be beached without damage to the hull). Initially RS Vision because everybody seems to rate them and they hold their value, and would take 4 at a push and look OK and get a bit racy with the gennaker. Then having dismissed Topper because I thought it was just for teens, I came across the Topper Xenon. The Xenon looks fantastic, has a bigger sail area and seems like it may be more exciting with just as much room as the Vision?

There are many more Visions about, they have a big following which helps keep second hand prices high and I am not sure whether this is true for the Xenon? 

Question is: which boat will depreciate faster and which will be more exciting to sail and race with two adults?

Your very appreciatively

Anton

radixon View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 08 at 8:40am

Firstly what is the combined weight of the two adults? Has anyone that is going to be in the boat been sailing before?

The reason I say that is because the Xenon is a racing Topper, about the only one in the Topaz range that has a dedicated class. It would fit 4 people OK, I have sailed one at UKSA on my Instructor course, its great (providing the bung is in!!)

The Vision is a great boat, but I would say that getting 4 people in there maybe a slight push.

If the Xenon can be reefed, then it would be a great boat for you. The best bet is to try one though as they are a handful if you are not used to it.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Anton Creasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 08 at 9:42am

Thanks for that. The xenon can be reefed and I have quite a bit of experience sailing. Combined weight would be around 24/24 stone.

What do you think about resale values?

PS thanks for your superfast response!

PPS hope you didn't sink from the bunk mistake!

Webmuppet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Webmuppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 08 at 9:54am
Anton,

Both the Vision and the Xenon are very good boats, well worth trying out - there's a Topper test centre at Datchet and an RS test centre at Burghfield. There's a Xenon/Omega website which might help too, it's got its own forum so you can ask current owners about their experiences with the boat

http://omega-xenon.org.uk/

Cheers,

Nigel
I am the milkman of human kindness, I will leave an extra pint (Billy Bragg)

Graduate 2530 'Galaxy'
dopamine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote dopamine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 08 at 10:37am
What?  No one yet told you they are not at all suitable for anything as they are made of plastic!

Actually they are quite similar in my experience. The Xenon is bigger, has more power and can go quite quick with the larger kite where the Vision has smaller sails. The Vision is also deeper than the Xenon so you sit in more which may be better for youngsters? The Xenon is quick to turtle and can be hard work to get righted if it does.

Both are pretty durable due to their construction. With the crew weight you're quoting I'd say the Xenon will be more fun for racing. The Xenon probably depreciates quicker initially which means that you should get a newer boat for your money,as with all boats there's plenty out there that have hardly got their hulls wet!

hth

Steve

Edited by dopamine
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 08 at 11:09am

I didn't sink, it held its buoyancy for the whole 3 hours we were out in it.

And I still past my pre-entry!!

I would agree if you can get a second hand Xenon, you'll do well.

Topper do have second hand ones available - http://www.toppersailboats.com/xenon_used.aspx

Edited by radixon
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 08 at 11:15am

You don't say where you are but for 4,200 (or 4k if you offer it) Boats and Outboards have this one for sale

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F171555

Xenon Sport with Gennaker (black) - includes a combination trailer and top cover. This boat has been sailed less than a dozen times in 18 months. The Gennaker has been up twice. She is in excellent condition. Reason for sale: My boys are off to university so no sailing partners. Next move a trailer sailor. REDUCED FOR QUICK SALE - O.I.R.O. Or part exchange (ie Limbo 6.6, Jag 21 etc).

Gennaker 12.75m2 - Mainsail 12.0m2 - Jib 3.5m2

So they are out there in your budget!

Edited by radixon

Post Options Post Options   Quote Anton Creasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 08 at 12:07pm
Thanks Nigel that website is great! They have got some good stuff for sale.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Anton Creasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 08 at 12:10pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the mail. All you say reflects my research  which is good to know I am on the right track. You say that the xenon will depreciate faster initially... why do you think that is? and do you think the depreciation will slow down later? Is it a poorer quality boat?

Post Options Post Options   Quote Anton Creasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 08 at 2:46pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the info and I have decided.....

Its going to be a Xenon! and I cant wait!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>