FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will you be able to afford to tow in 2009

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
Roger View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 08 at 3:20pm

For 155 days of the year, every penny earned by the average UK resident was taken to support government expenditures. In fact its not till 3rd June this year that you will start earning for yourself, everything you earn before that date goes to the government.

This figure includes taxation of all sorts and not just income tax.

Each of these little tax increases adds further to this figure, and the current government certainly seems to be of the opinion they can manipulate the population by increasing the tax burden in certain areas.

iwsmithuk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote iwsmithuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 08 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

Absoultely, yet you advocate 'taxing 'em hard'....

sounds like a plan, but I can also say that the google image search for 'swedish hotties' to illustrate my last post yielded a fine detraction from budgetary analysis.

Hard but selective.

Edited by iwsmithuk
iwsmithuk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote iwsmithuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 08 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Merlinboy

I can see why labour keep getting into power! Most of the forum-tees are left wingers!!!

Quite the reverse it seems. 

Edited by iwsmithuk
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 08 at 4:10pm
I haven't read the lot, this thread is moving so fast, but I can guess what it's
about.

So just to fuel the fire a bit further in the quest for general peace harmony
and contentment that we are being justly served by our political elite..

Doesn't it give you a nice warm feeling knowing that all those expenses for
the 2nd home - don't attract tax either because they're exempt?

Yes?
iwsmithuk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote iwsmithuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 08 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

Scoobs & Roger,

You both have very fair points made, but what's the alternative?  How do you reverse the dependency culture without sounding terribly right wing in a society indoctrinated with political correctness?   

Personally I have not voted since 1997... and yes I was one of the naive idiots who fell into the trap of seeing 'youth leaders' like Damon Albarn rubbing shoulders with the New Labour massive as a sign that there was positive change afoot.... on reflection what really needed changing, a bit of tory pants down action... pails into insignificance these days with the current sleaze-mongering in whitehall. 

A year later and my demographic was sold down the river with tuition fees... something that's progressively got worse/ more expesive and imo, the total antithesis of the egalitarian values the party was founded on.

I enjoyed my uni life to the full and I've spent every working day since trying to earn enough to take Mercutio's attitude towards both our major political parties and their lightweight, crowd-pleasing policies.... seem to get shafted either way.

Maybe it's time to reconsider... alternatively I'll continue to accept some of the benefits that our country offers- reasonable state education where I live, relatively low taxation (compared to similar european economies), fairly supportive of businesses and the self-empoyed and I'll hoepfully continue to earn enough to pay for private cover on the bad things... NHS, income protection, pension (of sorts) etc This leaves the rest of my taxes to be squandered on the idle and inept... and as long as I have as little to do with them as possible, then fine, that's life.

Nice.

A little harsh perhaps. But nicely written. I suppose we all get like that after a while. I see a lot of benefit culture every day, often 2nd or 3rd generation who have no intention of ever working. There really isn't an answer.

Incidentally lots of sl*gging off the Poles on here. Not fair. All the ones I've met are hard working honest types just here to earn a wage doing stuff people here can't be arsed to do for the money. Good luck to them.

I do like a good "heated debate" (said in best Caroline Ahern voice).

Edited by iwsmithuk
iwsmithuk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote iwsmithuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 08 at 4:49pm

Anyway.......

Like I said a while ago....

Back to sailing!

Charlie View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 08 at 5:05pm

Come on you've got to be impressed by a labour govt that introduces a tax "cut" that means everyone on less than 17,500 is paying more tax, and people above that end up paying less.

I'm not complaining i'm one of the lucky ones above that amount!

Finn GBR 657 - Blown It
Laser 164635
Planet Earth: 30% Land, 70% race course!
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 08 at 6:02pm
I wasn't sl*gging off the Polish folk, more the immigration trap that we have fallen in to! We used to have polish folk valeting cars and they would work hrs solid.  But If the government hadn't let people slip into benefit culture by paying them more benefits then they would have to take the lower skilled jobs like the polish people! To earn enough money to live! Now in any society you will get lazy b**tards, but if you stopped the incentive then these people would have to work, meaning less jobs for immigrants and more money staying in our economy! its impossible for us to have an open door policy with Europe unless A) we switch to the euro and B) The benefit systems are the same where ever you live in the EU!!!!
ColH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 08 at 6:34pm

I employ a Polish graduate - works his backside off, doing a skilled job. Had it advertised it for ages before he found us, and in that time no-one British had applied. That's what happens when govt policies balls up the country's technology capabilities and education systems...

ColH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 08 at 6:43pm

OK, since the subject has been raised (and some!), I'm confused by this 'gas guzzler' stuff. Surely all modern cars burn petrol in stoichometrically efficient ways these days? So big cars are really only worse polluters because they use a greater amount of petrol for a given distance*. Surely we already have a tax that relates to the amount of CO2 put into the atmosphere - this relates primarily to the actual quantity of fuel consumed and is called fuel duty! Why tax pure ownership of a vehicle when it only actually pollutes according to the amount it is used?

This seems so obvious to me, so what is it that I'm missing..??

* edit: cos the bands appear to be measured in g/km, not g/l

Edited by ColH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>