FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

In ye' olden days...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
Author
Merlinboy View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 08 at 8:07am
Originally posted by MikeBz

Ah, so you're that Strangler...

Derek Clark tried the foredeckless spaceframe route in the early 80s IIRC but it didn't catch on.  The I14s have gone the other way, in the 80s they were all open but now they all have foredecks.  Plus ca change!

Mike

Some are going back the open route, i prefer them with foredecks although it makes it hard to repair fittings and ropes that are broken underneath.

PS that 2008 hornet looks awesome!

MpHarris View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote MpHarris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 08 at 9:05am
The new hornet looks extremely tasty, almost a shame its symetrical...
Cherub 2663 "Sweet Dreams"
RS400 451 "IceBerg"
Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 08 at 9:16am
I think that Hornet is flogging a dead horse ....
Strangler View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 08 at 1:55pm

Ah, so you're that Strangler...

Mike

There is only one Strangler!   Hi Mike.

The Plumber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 08 at 2:53pm
sorry - been away so a bit behind the times - but just in case anyone is
remotely interested, the Javelin girl is called Jeanette :)
MikeBz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MikeBz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 08 at 3:11pm

Originally posted by Guest#260

Something which could rightly have been said of the Phantom some years ago but look at the comeback that has had!

Mike

Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 08 at 3:17pm

Originally posted by Guest#260

Something which could rightly have been said of the Phantom some years ago but look at the comeback that has had!

Mike

Maybe, but the Phantom had a space in the market, nice boat for big guys who didn't want to get beaten by Olympic boys; what does the Hornet offer that a Fireball can't?

Chas 505 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chas 505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 08 at 5:32pm

Yeah, but then again the F/ball fleet was flagging a few yrs back.  So hats-off to the guys (and girls) on the F/b committee for re-injecting a load of energy into procedings.  They are now reaping the deserved rewards.

I always thought that the Hornet was quite an attractive club racer...a sort of Scorpion with a trapeze (or plank).

If sold right, it could become a rs500 for bigger personnel...or a replacement for the L4000, if that falls through.  I reckon that there is a good market there.

Maybe the Hornet fleet could go for a bigger chute.  That would certainly make them feel a bit meatier downwind.

BTW - I do like the rs500, having seen them race, it reminds me of the type of class that the L2 was when it started out.  Again a good performing club racer for people who want reasonable performance without loony prices or boat handling.

I reckon that it is good to see quality choice in that market again.

I

Life is too short.
Work Hard; Play Hard; Sail a 505
swirlything View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote swirlything Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 08 at 6:12pm
To get this back on topic (slightly)
The Aussies still race some of the classic 18's, and they're not afraid of a blow either

It was blowing about 35 knots that afternoon
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 08 at 6:37pm
As an aside, the 14's didn't have decks in the 80's because until the amalgamation they were an open, undecked class.
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>