FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Classic boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classic boat
    Posted: 01 Jul 08 at 1:28pm
Hi all, I'm stumped, looking for the next singlehander in a long line...
It has to be:
designed before 1965
Over 25 years old (to meet CVRDA requirements)
faster than a Laser (PY 1078 or faster)
suitable for a fairly sailing time poor fairly unfit 10 3/4 stone middle aged helm.
For sailing on a small lake, mainly.
Currently sailing an1970 Int moth, but it is very painful and except on a reach in a howler slower than a Laser. Winged Moths out due to not liking water quite enough...

I'm beginning to see why the Laser was such a hit when it came out...ideas, please!
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 08 at 4:19pm
I dont think you have many options especially if you want it to be faster than a Laser.

The only things I could come up with was International Canoe, Contender or Finn, but neither fit your requirements in terms of your sailing time or weight, or likely sailing location !

Other suggestions would be an OK (only just slower than a Laser) but again your slightly on the light side.

You've got me stumped as well !

Paul

Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 08 at 4:23pm
you will be ok at that weight in an IC, iun fact there is a classic on elooking for a good home on the IC website so it would fit in really nicely.

Edited by Merlinboy
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 08 at 4:25pm
Sorry A Contender was not designed until 1967 and I would not describe it as suitable to sail on a small lake.
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 08 at 4:40pm

Mirros can be una-rigged. Don't know about new ones, but many older ones (including the one I had) had a second mast step, and second shroud chainplate attachment points, forward of the standard ones.

But as you suddenly realised, that's a lot, lot slower than a Laser.

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 08 at 7:16pm

I used to sail our mirror una rigged when the kids were tiny, so they could crawl around on the foredeck without a nasty flappy sail getting in the way!

We have a couple of contenders on the lake occasionally, and they do pretty well (it is about 100 acres) but sadly they don't qualify for the classics, by a couple of years.

Not sure the Int Canoe would actually be quicker than the Lasers once I'd pulled it upright after each gybe...I've sailed them a little, but wouldn't have the time to put in to master them, even to club level. The OK is certainly a possibility. Hoping to have a play in one soon. Not sure I'm man enough to get a Finn back up the slipway, which is a shame, as there are some very pretty wooden Fairey Finns around.

Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 08 at 7:40pm
its got to be an ok then! They are awesome boats and perform well at cvrda events.
neilw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote neilw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 08 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Rupert

I used to sail our mirror una rigged when the kids were tiny, so they could crawl around on the foredeck without a nasty flappy sail getting in the way!

We have a couple of contenders on the lake occasionally, and they do pretty well (it is about 100 acres) but sadly they don't qualify for the classics, by a couple of years.

Not sure the Int Canoe would actually be quicker than the Lasers once I'd pulled it upright after each gybe...I've sailed them a little, but wouldn't have the time to put in to master them, even to club level. The OK is certainly a possibility. Hoping to have a play in one soon. Not sure I'm man enough to get a Finn back up the slipway, which is a shame, as there are some very pretty wooden Fairey Finns around.

Go for the Fairey Finn!

you can always add a jockey wheel to the launching trolley.

Chew my RS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chew my RS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 08 at 2:00pm
Solo?  Not officially faster than a Laser, but they give them a good run on our lake in the right conditions.
http://www.sailns14.org - The ultimate family raceboat now available in the UK
Black no sugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 08 at 4:17pm

What about a ToY?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>