FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winter Sailing Gloves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
hjo186 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote hjo186 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter Sailing Gloves
    Posted: 01 Feb 09 at 8:36am

Not sure if this is the best part of the forum to put this on and I am sure that it has been discussed before but I couldn't find anything.

Was out dinghy sailing yesterday and I found that the only part of me that got cold was my fingers.

What would you recommend for winter dinghy sailing gloves?

Edited by hjo186
dave.blakesley View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote dave.blakesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 09 at 9:09am
I wear a pair of the Gill winter neoprene ones, and they work perfectly. keep my hands nice and toasty, will probs only last one or 2 seasons though!

Link

I know alot of people will tend to use the orange builders gloves, there is a thermal version (as well as a version by gill (?) ) Will find a link when i get back from sailing!
Chris Bridges View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Bridges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 09 at 9:22am
Don't buy the gill version, they are no better and about £5 more a pair!!
49er GBR735 (for sale) - Rutland SC
Gladys View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gladys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 09 at 9:43am

These are the best i've ever had, only had them 1 season but they still look like new!yhey are much better than the other gill gloves with only about £10 more.

http://www.sailboats.co.uk/Catalogue~Gill_Extreme_Winter_Glo ves~p_7770~c5214.html

ps these kept me warm while sailing in that snowy weekend when it was about   -5!

Edited by Gladys
You're a sailor when you will leave port in any wind,
You're a good sailor when you can get back!
Rockhopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rockhopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 09 at 10:48am
i used to wear glass cutters gloves good grip and your fingers are covered but they did not seem to be everyones cup of tea.
Retired now after 35 seasons in a row and time for a rest
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 09 at 11:01am
Don't be afraid to consider layering gloves. A pair of Marigolds under a pair of full fingered gloves.
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
Ross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 09 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Gladys

These are the best i've ever had,
only had them 1 season but they still look like new!yhey
are much better than the other gill gloves with only
about £10 more.

e_Winter_Gloves~p_7770~c5214.html">http://www.sailboats.c
o.uk/Catalogue~Gill_Extreme_Winter_Glo
ves~p_7770~c5214.html

ps these kept†me warm while sailing in that snowy
weekend when it was about†† -5!

These gloves were good when I was a topper squaddie
training all year round, keeping my tiny 14 year old
hands nice and toasty. They're a right bugger to put
back on if they're wet though! I need at least the thumb
and index finger open ended when I'm crewing.
Ross
If you can't carry it, don't sail it!
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 09 at 5:36pm
Gloves when its cold, um interesting one.

I had a pair of Blue Gill neoprene ones were ok but didn't keep your hands that warm.

Had a pair of the Rooster ones, wasn't impressed by those, the stitching dug into my fingers when holding rope/tiller and they didn't keep my hands that warm.

I wear the normal sailing gloves with the finger and thump cut, got the Gill ones and find that as long as I am constantly moving the fingers they are ok, you have to forget about the cold and concentrate on sailing. (mind over matter!)

(comes from he who hasn't sailed for a month or two)

Skiffman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Skiffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 09 at 10:38pm
no need for gloves.... I never wear gloves unless crewing then just use the showa thermo version. I find I can keep my hands quite warm without any gloves on most of the time and when they do get cold my crews hands are just as cold with thermo gloves on.

anyone else tryed sailing this time of year without gloves?? apprently some latex gloves under the builders gloves work well.
49er GBR5

teamfletcherandsign.co.uk
Team Fletcher and Sign campaign site
simsy View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote simsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 09 at 11:57pm
I prefer sailing without gloves too. It sounds silly, but providing you don't actually get your hands wet (which is easier then it sounds) your hands don't suffer from the cold that much. As well as constant moving of your hands - aids in circulation and helps warmth.

Problem with wearing bog-standard gloves during the winter, is as soon as they get wet they just provide constant cold water next to your hands, making the problem worse.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>