FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Farr 3.7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 110>
Author
Andymac View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 11 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Contender443

Bootscooter build what you want. We don't need a class association in the UK and we certainly won't go to NZ for class racing or international events.

I see this as using the Farr hull as a base design, deck layout should be personal preference as should be whether you want a kite or not. The only other standard should be mast length  then do what you want.

Just because the British dinghy sailing scene is stuck in the CA system with open and national events doesn't mean we have to.

That's fair enough.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 11 at 1:26pm
But be aware that there are good reasons why you don't see many hollow foredecks and on deck socks at the front of the development classes. The aerodynamics are horrible, both drag and (for those boats that have them) the end plate effect on the jib. Its just a way to make it cheaper to build mass production boats.
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 11 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Andymac

Bootscooter build what you want. We don't need a class association in the UK and we certainly won't go to NZ for class racing or international events.

I see this as using the Farr hull as a base design, deck layout should be personal preference as should be whether you want a kite or not. The only other standard should be mast length  then do what you want.

Just because the British dinghy sailing scene is stuck in the CA system with open and national events doesn't mean we have to.

That's fair enough.

But then all you have is a few random self built one-offs ....

Why not try and build a class?

In these tough economic times a self-build class of budget boats may be just the thing ...

I noted on the article Y&Y called this the latest skiff ... LOL it's not a skiff is it ... Wink
Andymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 11 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by seamonkey

it's not a skiff is it ... Wink

Oh yes it is!  link  LOL
Strawberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Strawberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 11 at 2:03pm

That's fair enough.

I noted on the article Y&Y called this the latest skiff ... LOL it's not a skiff is it ... Wink

Certainly not the latest...
Cherub 2649 "Dangerous Strawberry
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 11 at 2:20pm

it's not a skiff is it ... Wink

Oh yes it is!  link  LOL

Oh no its not ... Big smile

Edited by seamonkey - 11 Nov 11 at 2:20pm
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 11 at 3:30pm

That's fair enough.
But then all you have is a few random self built one-offs ....Why not try and build a class?In these tough economic times a self-build class of budget boats may be just the thing ...I noted on the article Y&Y called this the latest skiff ... LOL it's not a skiff is it ... Wink

All I'll say is that, however you build, and whatever you build it always costs a good sum of money. Building within a set of class rules at least allows you to sell the boat on again if things don't work out how you intended.
Bootscooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bootscooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 11 at 8:12pm
All good and valid points and perhaps the true path lies somewhere in the middle. While I think we all would like a "Class", it'd be a shame to stifle that element of tweaking and pimping that many enjoy.

How about the Farr 3.7B (British) Class falls in line with the NZ Class on hull shape, weight limits, mast regs and mainsail area - but allows freedom of design with the fordeck, cockpit and fitting of asym kite.
Is there a need for area restriction on the pole length and kite, or leave it free as with the Asym Canoe?

I do think there should be discussion, at least, about the requirements for a British boat as the average conditions here differ greatly from NZ.

Bootscooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bootscooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 11 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by JimC

But be aware that there are good reasons why you don't see many hollow foredecks and on deck socks at the front of the development classes. The aerodynamics are horrible, both drag and (for those boats that have them) the end plate effect on the jib. Its just a way to make it cheaper to build mass production boats.

Hmmm interesting.....
Could you explain about the "end plate effect on the jib" please?
I'd assumed that a sock system would be lighter, would let the wet kite drain easier, and possibly prolong the life of the sail a little? Happy to be corrected btw.
I seem to remember I14s using a similar system and assume it was dropped for the drag issues you mentioned. Would the effect be pronounced on a boat going at 3.7 speeds (just a little faster upwind than a Laser, I believe)?

Ps, I'm willing to learn - every day's a school day.

*gulp* *realises that I'm sounding like GRF did while planning the V2*
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 11 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Bootscooter

All good and valid points and perhaps the true path lies somewhere in the middle. While I think we all would like a "Class", it'd be a shame to stifle that element of tweaking and pimping that many enjoy.

How about the Farr 3.7B (British) Class falls in line with the NZ Class on hull shape, weight limits, mast regs and mainsail area - but allows freedom of design with the fordeck, cockpit and fitting of asym kite.
Is there a need for area restriction on the pole length and kite, or leave it free as with the Asym Canoe?

I do think there should be discussion, at least, about the requirements for a British boat as the average conditions here differ greatly from NZ.

Booty.... Study the structure under the foredeck a bit more, then think. I'm planning on cutting this in half. And ask yourself where is the structural strength now going to come from whilst maintaining the low weight the boat currently has. If you can think of an answer, start a yacht design business because you are at least as good as Bruce Farr was when designed the 3.7.

End plating Isn't relevant in this discussion as there is no jib. But buy butting up a 90 degree surface to a wing ( a foredeck in sailing) you improve the aerodynamic efficency of the wing by stopping the flow from exiting off the end in a turbulent fashion. That's a very simplified discription there are plenty of pages on the Internet that explain it better.

Build the boat as is, from the plans, you'll love it. Better still come and sail my one first.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 110>