FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS100 Prototype

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 92>
Author
Guest View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 09 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Nick Peters

Rick - theres a cleat on the boom - not sure about it yet - keeps cockpit clear and you can stay well fwd in light airs tacks and gybes but if you drop it - not so much to hand - tied to centre of kite sheets helps.

Is the cleat is on a flip flop block?

Peaky View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 09 at 2:26pm
Might even encourage people into the Vareo, as interest in kited hikers increases and second hand Vareo's offer the cheapest way in.
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 09 at 2:34pm
Well done Nick et al, at LDC, the boat looks great. Given that everyone else is trying to describe the boats that the design has morphed from I'll throw in my thoughts: 29er transom, vareo mid sections with a touch more rocker, 700 style bow.
An awful lot of people have been crying out for this for some time but it does seem like the Vareo fleet are going to take a pasting! and I'd take it over the D-one everytime, but then I have a 700 rather than an MPS so some would say I am biased.
I'm not sure if I like the idea of the off the boom sheeting but it does mean that there are no worries about pre-gybing the tiller, just push it through as you run!
Mainsail looks a bit gimmicky and I'd be concerned that the cloth and cut has at the moment been chosen for perceived form rather than function and I dare say its pretty cheap to source, but then I'd rather have something a bit more robust on my 700 like the old 600 sailcloth, call me old fashioned if you like!

So Nick, any chance of getting demo dave to bring one over to Thornbury, we have our club week 10th-14th Aug and a few interested sailors?
MikeBz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MikeBz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 09 at 2:36pm

Looks interesting, but for lighter airs downwind will it be hamstrung by the weeny kite as the Vareo is?

Mike

haroosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote haroosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 09 at 2:50pm

Really interested in what the optimum weight might be?Having owned a MPS for a year or so the only reason I gave it up was not being able to commit to the time it needed for me to be able to race it competitively but I would imagine something like this would be much more suitable. Really looking forward to seeing it on the water. I wonder what the favourable intro price for the first batch might be??????

Ian29937 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian29937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 09 at 3:11pm

....or is it carbon fibre ?

timnoyce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timnoyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 09 at 3:13pm
It looks to be solid as there are cleats mounted on it. Maybe they've gone for the pimp max power carbon bonnet effect?!
BEARFOOT DESIGN
Cherub 2648 - Comfortably Numb
Pierre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 09 at 3:17pm
So, do I have to revoke my D1 order now then? 

Looks alright to me.
Should work on ponds and at the seaside
and you can sit down on the job.
Just what the doctor ordered n'est pas?

craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 09 at 3:18pm
Looks like the plastic foredeck/chute cover from the feva, so hopefully its not plastic!

James, given your love for the 300 I'm suprised your so easily swayed into this, surely its not really for sale?
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 09 at 3:31pm

Originally posted by Iain C

Any idea of a likely PY?  If it goes like a 300 with extra kite power it's going to be pretty quick I'd guess!

More waterline beam than a 300 and a little less righting moment.

Much will depend on the final chosen sail areas, but i'd guess just under 1000 for an 8 sq m rig, down to maybe 960 with a 9.5 (tho' that'd take some handling), assuming 10 sq m in the kite. Make the kite too big and the boat becomes hopeless on club courses like the Vareo on its 1030.

I'd like to have seen heavy Iso-style winglets for lighter helms, permitting the sail area to be upped a little.

Overall a nice job, though - there must a niche. 7000 will be well over the price of the 3000 Una, however, which should be quicker and more fun.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 92>