FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Big dinghy event

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
Skiffybob View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Skiffybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 09 at 7:49pm

Chris, make it on the 7th & 8th November.

I'm away the two weekends before that.

12ft Skiff - Gordon Keeble and the Furry Fly-by
AC - GBR271 - Whoosh
B49 - Island Alchemy
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 09 at 8:16pm
skiffybob- potential poor choice of weekend- the big multi-class inlands at Grafham are that weekend. Hold an event then, you risk drastically reducing turnout.
-_
Al
Skiffybob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Skiffybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 09 at 8:51pm

There's your next challenge Chris.

12ft Skiff - Gordon Keeble and the Furry Fly-by
AC - GBR271 - Whoosh
B49 - Island Alchemy
chrisg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote chrisg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 09 at 9:42pm
Doubt we'll be doing anything this year Bob, probably just not enough time. But I (if allowed) will definitely be looking at doing something next year I hope.
Peaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 09 at 10:12pm

I think it is a great idea Chris.  My 2p would suggest a late September/early October date as the end of the sea sailing season.  It would be good to link it to the Bloody Mary, Lord B and Steve Nicholson race to form a Grand Slam of handicap races - perhaps with a prize for best overall performance out of the 4 events.  Those events would give a spring, summer, autumn and winter Slam, and spread from the SE to the NW, through the midlands. 

If you go for more than one race in your shindig, I think it is still nice to have one race that is the big one - a sort of POW or Burton Cup.  Keep the course simple, make it about 3 hours long and average lap it.

chrisg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote chrisg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 09 at 10:15pm
Funny you should say that peaky as we were made aware that Draycote used to run a 4hour average lap race (for the members, not an open as such I believe) and there has been talk of reviving that too, so perhaps we could combine something.....
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 09 at 4:51pm

A big handicap event at a time of year when it's still warm sounds like a great idea to me.

I liked the idea of the Silver Salvers, wherein only a limited number of boats from each class could attend - means people have space to sail properly and the rest of us, if not sailing, get a good overview of how the different classes compare (if only in those conditions, obviously). Fewer reps per class would mean individual disasters can blur the class result, while allowing a free-for-all like the Blooody Mary not only means a crowded course, but also the distortions in results caused by huge fleets of one class or another making overtaking by other classes difficult.

Coursewise, I like the AC for a limited number of entries, but if it's all-comers then I'd have thought you'd need to spread the course over the whole sailable surface of the lake (avoiding flat spots etc. obviously), just to avoid overcrowding.

Hope it comes off.

Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 09 at 4:55pm

Touble is with summer events you never know what you will get wind wise and also you will struggle not to clash with either, peoples summer holidays, Class nationals or one of the many dinghy weeks.  Stick to the winter i say!  I try and attend the tiger, Steve Nicholson and bloody mary and would love to race in another one closer to home!

Mikey 14778 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mikey 14778 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 09 at 5:17pm
Personally I don't do much travelling to events, and when I do I'm torn between the extra aggro involved in overnight stays and
the extra time on the water you get as a result. So while we're all in blue-sky thinking mode, I'd be interested to know if a
one day event would appeal to anyone more/less than the usual 2 day affair.
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 09 at 6:50pm
That was my point at the 300 agm, i do as many of the 300 events as i can (most of them) but if they were one dayers i would prefer it as it means i don't get in trouble with the wife!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>