FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Additional discards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
robinft View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote robinft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Additional discards
    Posted: 12 Oct 09 at 10:40am

There was a three day national championship at the weekend with 8 races and a single discard scheduled. Over the course of the weekend the class held their agm and agreed that a second discard should be allowed. This materially changed the overall standings as a top boat had already collected 2x OCS.

Another boat protested (sought redress) and the club appointed (I assume) protest committee upheld their protest that the second discard should not be allowed.

I wasn't there and the above is heresay but I think the original agreement to a second discard was misguided to say the least.

What do you guys think?

Edited by robinft
Laser number 9
Mikey 14778 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mikey 14778 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 09 at 10:45am
I don't think even an AGM resolution can affect the scoring for a competition that is already under way. You'd only get
away with it if the SIs for that event specifically allowed for the number of discards to be adjusted by the organisers.
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 09 at 12:02pm
Cnventionally an AGM resolution would affect the NOR for the next event, not the one underway!
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 09 at 12:28pm
I agree with the 2 posts above,. You cannot change the scroing for an event that is in progress. Well done to the protestor for having the balls to stand up and be counted!
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
robinft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote robinft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 09 at 1:04pm
I agree with all your comments, thanks. Only difference for my part is that on hearing of this I was concerned for my blood pressure - I was worse than appalled that this should happen.
Laser number 9
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 09 at 1:15pm
If it was at the weekend just gone, why didn't you just mention the class? After all, we'll work it out when the report gets filed here, surely?

Edit: In fact, looking at the calender: Spitfire Nationals?

Edit 2: or possibly the Shadow, held at the same time/same venue.

Edited by alstorer
-_
Al
Laser 173312 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Laser 173312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 09 at 2:28pm

No you canít change the rules of a competition once itís started, you canít even change the rules once the people have entered under a set of rules. Bernie Eccelstone proved that in Formula One when he wanted to give the driver with the most wins the championship regardless after teams had already committed to the 2009 championship.

Alinghi should take note of this, people do not like it!

robinft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote robinft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 09 at 2:38pm
Spitfire Nationals.
Laser number 9
gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 09 at 10:52pm
To modity the number of discards it would be necessary for the organising authority to amend the NOR and the race committee to amend the SIs (see rules 89 and 90).

The NOR can be changed provided adequate notice is given (rule 89). This often has to be done to correct an error in drafting the document.

IF the amendments were drafted correctly, the  PC would have to decide whether changing the number of discards during an event constitutes adequate notice.

It would be interesting to read the exact wording of the PCs decision. There may be a good case for the PC requesting confirmation of their decision by the RYA Appeams Committee. a case on this question would be helpful.

Gordon
Gordon
robinft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote robinft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 09 at 8:53am

Good points Gordon.

The AGM that took the decision was after 6 of the 8 races had been sailed. Was this the right time to propose a change to the number of discards?

Laser number 9
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>