FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rooster Project X

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 36>
Author
winging it View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 10 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Peaky

I'm sure I read that they were to be made in Britain. Why would they
be anymore ideal than a Laser- it might be really tippy for all we know
(which isn't much).

Mostly because they are a hell of a lot cheaper!  That hull shape doesn't look tippy to me, and it also doesn't have the annoying sheet catching corner which we know you can all practise your way out of, but a beginner can't, so it can cause problems for them.  A centreboard to my mind is easier to manage for learners and if they run aground (and believe me, they do) it will raise itself and cause less damage than a dagger board, which can also catch on the kicker or boom if you're a beginner and don't push it down far enough when you're trying to launch.....

Plus I would imagine spares and repairs ought to be reasonable, given Rooster's track record.  Also important to a training centre.
the same, but different...

Skiffybob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Skiffybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 10 at 5:42pm

Originally posted by tickler

For many years I made handmade kitchens. At best employing 7 men. At worst on my own. I never made much money out of the 7 men but kept all the money when working alone. IKEA sell kitchens which are probably "untouched by human hand". Cheap and exellent quality, I have one myself! It seems to me that there are two options. Bash out boats alone in a garden shed or invest millions and become the IKEA of boatbuilding. Cottage industry never makes money.

Now't truer than the old saying "get big, get niche, or GET OUT!"

12ft Skiff - Gordon Keeble and the Furry Fly-by
AC - GBR271 - Whoosh
B49 - Island Alchemy
Skiffybob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Skiffybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 10 at 5:50pm

At the completely opposite end of the manufactuing spectrum.

When cars were handmade (this marque isn't even made like that any more). It's a bit old, but fabulous to watch people hand-polishing valve seats, and using dti's on camshafts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cN-ogN6wIk 

12ft Skiff - Gordon Keeble and the Furry Fly-by
AC - GBR271 - Whoosh
B49 - Island Alchemy
tickler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tickler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 10 at 10:23pm
I saw a hammer used 3 times, good old Italian engineering!

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 10 at 4:36pm
More info on the blog today, but not that useful really.  Not ideal sailing conditions by the looks of it, and surely Steve would be beating a fair few local lasers whatever he was in.

Rooster blog.

jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 10 at 5:48pm
I agree, I am just gutted i can't go to the show this year, you going Winging it?
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 10 at 6:05pm
Yes, and I shall be looking at his boat closely.  I reckon it will be easier to sail one of these with my arm in a cast than my contender (wrist hurts badly today)

womble12345 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote womble12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 10 at 1:12pm

There has been a blog update:

http://www.roostersailing.com/wordpress/?p=268#more-268

I will definitely be taking a good look at the boat at Ally Pally this weekend.

jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 10 at 3:44pm

See what they tweak on the next hull then....

Still gutted I am working though

Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
GybeFunny View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote GybeFunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 12:35pm

I had a look at the RPX at the show, it looks promising. I didnít get to fill in a questionnaire at the show but I am not that concerned about the centreboard vs daggerboard debate, they both have their positives and negatives and I am happy to go with whatever the majority prefer. What I am concerned about is the tracked mast vs sleeved sail debate, I was dissapointed to see the RPX at the show had a sleeved sail. If the boat ends up with a sleeved sail then I will stick with my Laser, if it has a tracked mast then I am very keen. I sincerely hope the responses to the questionnaire mirror my opinion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 36>