FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Real D-One Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 73>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 11 at 9:40am
In the way that the RS100 has developed its own formats, nothing wrong with a class doing its own thing if thats what they want. When the D-One was announced Luca was pretty clear he didn't want the class to be overly serious on racing issues, just create a fun way of sailing and as Rodney points out if the D-one sailors already like it then that is the way forward.
fab100 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 11 at 9:47am
Originally posted by JimC

I think its illogical to accept the principal of having a discard,  

Interesting thought, but you might find the incidence of long-winded protests for redress would escalate alarmingly. We saw the distortions that average points can then create at the Merlins this year.

Has n't everyone had a race (or lots) ruined by someone else's mistake on a start line for example. I've had someone lose control, tack on to port in front of me with a few seconds to go - the boats get tangled and by the time you clear it, it is race over, you are in dirty wind, the fleet has gone and there is no way back. They do their 720 but that does not help me, the innocent victim.

WFIW, until not long ago (as I see it anyway), discards did once make a difference, as tie-breakers. Now we have count backs instead and that is no longer the case.

Personally, I've got no problem with someone sitting out the final race; if they have outsailed everyone that comprehensively, good on them. Sailing is a sport for the competitors, not spectators and (without wishing so see the thread hi-jacked) thank heavens for that, long may it continue.
rodney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 11 at 10:09am
Just to put this one to bed it has worked really well for more than 2 years now and no complaints, protests or any other negatives.  As they say 'if it ain't broke.....'

This is my last posting on this subject as I am now going to get on with my day job.  I feel so lucky!

Edited by rodney - 02 Nov 11 at 10:10am
Rodney Cobb
Suntouched Sailboats Limited
http://www.suntouched.co.uk
[EMAIL=rodney@suntouched.co.uk">rodney@suntouched.co.uk
rogue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 11 at 10:18am
It also probably works because you guys have been blessed/worked hard to get some great venues that deliver good sailing.

I have to say, if the format were applied to a couple of the opens I did last year, then I would have been hacked off... double points score in the falling early evening breeze final race... yuk.
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 11 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by rogue

It also probably works because you guys have been blessed/worked hard to get some great venues that deliver good sailing.

I have to say, if the format were applied to a couple of the opens I did last year, then I would have been hacked off... double points score in the falling early evening breeze final race... yuk.
I agree weather conditions for the last race could have a big influence on the final results. All boats would have to have a chance of finishing. A race where the wind is failing and only less than 50% of the fleet finish within the time limit cannot be very fair.

Sorry to have hijacked this D-One thread as the discussion has moved onto this scoring system which has nothing to do with the D-Ones.

I had read the ethos of the class for longer races, less races per day and lay days in a regatta and that does not appeal. As does non dicardable douuble point last races.
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 11 at 1:10pm
Long races make sense on big European lakes and at some sea venues, where there is space to really spread your wings, but not really on small British gravel pits where you go round and round and round, so I guess it is horses for courses.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
Ruscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 11 at 2:00pm
FWIW, The final double points race worked really well. Sailing someone down the fleet would not be an option as you would usually both score badly.  I can understand how its not for everyones taste, but in the context of this regatta...No problems, the series was alive right up until the finish right across the fleet.  The racing was great over the weekend each race was about 45mins w/l back to back.  Which, when sailing at queen mary is a blessing as launching and recovery was a bloody nightmare. 

Ruscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 11 at 7:42am
If anyone would like a test sail in a D-one there will be one at Chew Valley lake in Bristol on the 7th December from Just after lunch.  So if your in or around the area come and give it a go.

robinft View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote robinft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 11 at 12:15pm
We have 2 D-Ones at Thorpe Bay now - PM me for a test sail.
Laser number 9
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 11 at 6:21pm
One at Thornbury, 2nd and possibly third on the way!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 73>