FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Real D-One Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 73>
Author
rodney View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rodney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 09 at 9:21am

There will be some D-one activity early next year for those interested.  It's a good chance to see the D-Ones in action and to learn more about the boat.

Saturday 9th January - Bloody Mary - there will be a number of D-Ones racing in this event so it's a good chance to meet some of those racing the boat.

Saturday 16th - Sunday 17th January - We will have a D-One on the dock area for the last weekend of the London Boatshow in the "Dinghy showcase" - come and visit us to talk about the D-One.

Sunday 17th January - Adrian Brunton and Tim Garvin will be sailing their D-Ones in the Battle of the Classes - Could be fun to watch the D-Ones racing in this event

Rodney

Rodney Cobb
Suntouched Sailboats Limited
http://www.suntouched.co.uk
[EMAIL=rodney@suntouched.co.uk">rodney@suntouched.co.uk
aardvark_issues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aardvark_issues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 09 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by rodney

Originally posted by Noel D

I think its a fair question, why would stiff be slower?

Simply put the Finn is a heavy boat with a powerful rig so when the wind gets up and the bumpy bits arrive the boat torsions to help the rig. A stiff boat can't respond to the conditions in  the same way - lots of power and small righting moment - proven over many years through both theory and fact.

I'm intrigued by this. In my experience any twist in the hull platform makes the rig respond less well. If the platform is twisting that is using energy that would otherwise be put into deforming the rig and flattening the sail. The same can be said of a bendy boom - It just doesn't do the same thing as the mast bending and isn't useful.

Having said that my experience is limited to boats that accelerate with gusts...

Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 09 at 7:05pm
Other thread over there somewhere Mike.

Sounds like a busy winter on Planet D-One.Sadly I don't think I'll get to see one for a while yet...
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
paulburton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote paulburton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 09 at 8:08pm

Just out of interest what sort of person spends the best part of 10 grand on a newly introduced boat ? How many do you think you will sell in 2010 in the UK ?

RS Vareo
Cherub
aardvark_issues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aardvark_issues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 09 at 8:34pm
Sorry, thread had been open on my computer a while and not got around to posting - hadn't seen the new one!
rodney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 09 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by paulburton

Just out of interest what sort of person spends the best part of 10 grand on a newly introduced boat ? How many do you think you will sell in 2010 in the UK ?

I detect a degree of criticism of anyone buying a D-One from your question!  Best with an answer of not just what sort of person but also why? The 43 D-Ones sold to date have gone to people in their early 20’s up to mid 60’s.  When we took on the dealership for the D-One we tried to identify the democratic group that the boat would appeal to and came up with 40-55 year olds, male with some degree of disposable income.  The shock was the age range and also the number of people who have been prepared to dig deep to buy a D-One.  Almost everyone who has tested the D-One has wanted one – we are talking people with a mind of their own, individualists who don’t follow the herd.  Some reasons are very simple – the D-One is a fantastic sailing dinghy – fast, beautifully built, top quality using the best materials and fittings and a boat which will have a very long competitive life with low cost of ownership.  Some, for your interest, have bought D-Ones without even testing them and paid much more than specified the 10K to include packing and even airfreight.  This is all good stuff but even better everyone who has taken the step and bought a D-One has been more than happy with the decision – it seems that the more they sail the D-One the more they enjoy it. 

The promise of a great Volvo European and UK series is also appealing to many of our customers who are looking forward to the fun to come both on and off the water.  The prospect of family holidays at D-One events, nice venues, short and new regatta formats (details of all of this will be published soon) are all of appeal to people joining the D-One class.  The weight equalisation is proving to be very successful with 75 Kilos sailors giving the heavy guys a run for their money even in the strongest winds – this opens the class up to a greater range of sailors in terms of weight and height than almost any other single handed class.

Based on current levels of interest in test sailing the D-One and the indications from those who have already had a test sail we are projecting sales of 24 D-Ones into the UK in 2010.  I would not be surprised to find this to be a conservative estimate and that end up selling a great many more.  This is certainly not finger in the air stuff, it is based on real information and feedback from real people who are looking to joining the D-One fleet.

My apologies to all reading this as I know it looks like a sales push but I think that not to have answered the question was not an option.  I have been factual and reported things as we have judged them but, as I declared at the beginning of this thread, I do have a commercial interest.  I would much rather keep this thread on the technical issues, spec and reports/news on the D-One than get dragged into marketing and sales issues.

Rodney

Rodney Cobb
ChrisJ View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ChrisJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 09 at 4:40pm

It can't be all marketing and sales! Some of it must be love of sailing...

If it was just work, you wouldn't be posting on a Bank Holiday!

BTW: I liked the information: useful details for those joining the fleet.

rodney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 10 at 1:34pm

D-One Volvo Cup – Italy 2010

Date

information

5-7 March 2010

Sanremo

D-One - 1st series –Italian Riviera close to the French border.

23-25 Apr 2010

Scarlino

D-One - 2nd series – On the Tuscan coast between Pisa and Rome.

21-23 May 2010

Bracciano

D-One - 3rd series – Huge lake 30 Km north of Rome

11-13 June 2010

Numana

D-One - 4th series – Adriatic halfway down Italy.

16-18 July 2010

Torbole

D-One - 5th series – Top of Lake Garda

16-19 Sept 2010

Alassio

D-One (Italian National Championships) 6th series – Another great Italian Riviera venue.

All of these venues have been carefully chosen for their fantastic sailing and as lovely places for holidays – sun, beaches, food, wine and culture. 

We have scheduled to build a D-One charter fleet so that sailors can easily take a flight out to any of these events for a fly/sail holiday.  For more details on chartering please email me at rodney@devoti-one.co.uk . We can guarantee great events thanks to the generous support and sponsorship from Volvo and Devoti Sailing.  Why not come and experience a few days fun both on and off the water coupled with the chance to try the D-One?

I will soon publish the dates for the rest of the European events and a UK calendar.

Don’t forget to come and meet us at the Bloody Mary next weekend or the Battle of the Classes the following week.

Rodney

Rodney Cobb
mongrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mongrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 10 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by rodney

D-One Volvo Cup – Italy 2010

Date

information

5-7 March 2010

Sanremo

D-One - 1st series –Italian Riviera close to the French border.

23-25 Apr 2010

Scarlino

D-One - 2nd series – On the Tuscan coast between Pisa and Rome.

21-23 May 2010

Bracciano

D-One - 3rd series – Huge lake 30 Km north of Rome

11-13 June 2010

Numana

D-One - 4th series – Adriatic halfway down Italy.

16-18 July 2010

Torbole

D-One - 5th series – Top of Lake Garda

16-19 Sept 2010

Alassio

D-One (Italian National Championships) 6th series – Another great Italian Riviera venue.

All of these venues have been carefully chosen for their fantastic sailing and as lovely places for holidays – sun, beaches, food, wine and culture. 

We have scheduled to build a D-One charter fleet so that sailors can easily take a flight out to any of these events for a fly/sail holiday.  For more details on chartering please email me at rodney@devoti-one.co.uk . We can guarantee great events thanks to the generous support and sponsorship from Volvo and Devoti Sailing.  Why not come and experience a few days fun both on and off the water coupled with the chance to try the D-One?

I will soon publish the dates for the rest of the European events and a UK calendar.

Don’t forget to come and meet us at the Bloody Mary next weekend or the Battle of the Classes the following week.

Rodney

Thats great, put me down for all of them, oh wait a minute, my lottery numbers having come up this week, I'll have to take a rain check!

rodney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 10 at 3:32pm

[/QUOTE]

Thats great, put me down for all of them, oh wait a minute, my lottery numbers having come up this week, I'll have to take a rain check!

[/QUOTE]

With cheap flights, special accomodation rates and low charter prices it's probably not necessary to get that Loto win

Just wing off that email!

Rodney

Rodney Cobb
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 73>