FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The RS100 Owners Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 187188189190191 248>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 13 at 8:44pm
I guess in a Finn or Phantom you hang onto the sail area upwind to have it for going down hill. In a boat with a kite, you can bung more sail up, so the need to have the big main is lessened?
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
haroosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote haroosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 13 at 9:36pm

Anyway ready to gybe?

Keith
RS100 GBR 116 (XLR8)
scotsfinn View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote scotsfinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 13 at 11:15am
Not so with a Finn. Upwind, when the rig is matched to the helm there's no nicer boat to sail and you don't have to be the gorilla people say you have to be, unless of course the competion is 6'4" and 100 kg.
WinkThe boat copes easily with sail area because it is refined with a well developed rig ..... Not all boats are like that ( some may say the 100's rig just ain't quite up with the best!)
Blue touch paper lit ........ Approve
Largs Sailing Club. D-One GBR 57

www.blueseaconsultingllp.com
www.jameswattdockmarina.co.uk/boat-sales/
haroosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote haroosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 13 at 11:24am
Oh come on!!!! The fact the hull weighs as much as a small yacht helps keep you Finn boys upright!! Nevermind a refined rig!!!
Keith
RS100 GBR 116 (XLR8)
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 13 at 12:18pm
From the brief race I did in one, the Finn is without doubt the nicest dinghy I've ever sailed.... Believe me, preconceptions would have meant i wish I didn't have to admit that, but it was very very special and I won't deny pure class.

F*ck the gold watch - I'm retiring on a Finn, hopefully in less than 10 years time.

Edited by pondmonkey - 18 May 13 at 12:20pm
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 13 at 7:08pm
Any boat with one sail must be compromised on sail area, Finn included. There is, simply, more heeling moment upwind than off the wind. Doesn't mean it isn't a nice boat.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
haroosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote haroosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 13 at 3:30pm
Just shame I can't pull it up the slip!
Keith
RS100 GBR 116 (XLR8)
Hanna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 13 at 2:16pm
Bloody hell this is a heck of a thread to get up to speed with, and I've only read the last week's worth of posts! 

Anyway, I'm not going to wade into this discussion to much,  as I think I'd loose the will to live, but I thought I'd introduce myself as I'm one of those lessor spotted RS100 7.4 rig sailors. (Yes, a lass, and yes, none too heavy). I've also got an 8.4 sail which I hope to start using in lighter winds once I've gained more confidence and experience with the boat.  However, there are a few points I want to add to the discussion:

- I bought a new RS100 at the end of last year having sailed it out in Minorca. It's a fair whack out of the bank balance and was paid for out of the sale of my motorbike. The cost of the boat, compounded with the slow turnover of second hand boats, is what I believe is holding up the expansion of the class. This isn't a negative, and I don't believe it's representative of anything being wrong with the class, it's just one of those things and the consistent feedback I've had from a lot of sailors I've talked to. No doubt the class will have a notable upturn in numbers in the future once the second hand price drops and the turnover increases.

- I'd like to see something about the 7.4 sail in the proposed rule changes. I'm 70-73kg (depending on how much gym work I do - more gym = more weight) and don't expect to ever put my 7.4 sail to bed entirely as I believe it'll be reserved for higher winds, of which we get quite a lot down in Eastbourne.

- I'm new to sailing, and even newer to sailing forums, so forgive my ignorance - but what is behind the comments about pond sailing and the 100? I'm a costal sailor, as in the choppy salty stuff, so am feeling a bit oblivious to it all.

I'm sure there was more I wanted to say, but I've forgotten and this post is long enough already. 

Hello, by the way!
r2d2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote r2d2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 13 at 2:35pm
first off - welcome Smile

I sail the 8.4 at 73 to 75 kg so not actually that different - reckon you'll manage the 8.4 OK

Don't worry about the comments in this thread - this can be a bit of an opinionated forum with a few vocal individuals who have lots of knowledge but also lots of "baggage/history" if I can put it that way.  there is quite a bit of pish taking too
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 13 at 3:34pm
Welcome aboard Hanna... but awww gawd, don't take this thread as the de facto place to get information about RS100s; you've got one of the best professionally run class associations in sailing to help you with that.  'Diplo Dave' above is quite right, a lot of us are full of sh*t (you can ignore the bit about knowledge)... it's an internet forum, not a technical support board and any content shouldn't be taken any more seriously than the banter in the dinghy park or the joking in the bar.

This thread fired up again with regards the rule change, which as you rightly point out doesn't include the lesser spotted 7.2 sailors.  This is perhaps a more pertinent point though, as if you drill down further, most of the 10.2 sailors in the national results have buggered off anyway.  The rest of this thread is really just banter and piss taking, especially with Fab100 and iGRF... you should buy Clive's book if you haven't already done so.  

As for iGRF... well here's the top of his head and the bottom of his shoes... the rest you should probably ignore for the benefit of your sanity.

With regards my own credentials, well assuming you're the same Hanna who commented on an RS100 video I posted on youtube a while ago, well you can see I'm not very useful either.  Embarrassed

Now to your question on pond sailing; well it's really very, very simple.  For those of us who live in urban sprawl or even worse, the Midlands, we can only go sailing on ponds unless we travel miles and miles.  And you can guarantee that when we do make that journey, permission from better halves gained, stocked up on Ginsters for the journey, fate will inevitably conspire to send in a proper skunking so we ruin it for even one else.  The best thing to do is to not tell pond sailors when/where you're going sailing, then they won't suck the joy from the skies with their funny accents and lack of tidal expertise.  

Now let's be fair, it's better than 'not sailing', in the same way as going to a dry slope ski centre is better than being beaten up by 12 year olds down the park for wearing 80's 'disco skates'.  But in comparison to sailing on the sea or on a nice river, pond sailing really is rather lame.  Now we'll all tell you sea sailors that sailing on our ponds makes us more tactically aware and better at reading wind shifts.  Maybe that's true to an extent, in some people, but it's a poor trade off to the real thing on the salty stuff.  So you need to take any comments from pond sailors with a pinch of salt... which is pretty feckin' harsh considering we don't have much of the stuff to start with.... except of course, in those Ginsters slices.

As for the 8.4, go for it.  A warm evening race series might be the opportune moment to un-roll it and get it wet.  If in doubt add an extra purchase to the cunningham and welly the living hell out of it.  No one would protest you, RS100 sailors and ex RS100 are many things, but ultimately they're all gentle folk and very good spirited....  despite what nonsense you might read here.  

Enjoy your boat- keep posting. LOL       

Edited by pondmonkey - 23 May 13 at 4:10pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 187188189190191 248>