FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

mast head floats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
ellistine View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ellistine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 10 at 10:05pm
SailLaser also use the 40L ones.
Garry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 10 at 12:21pm

If you want no possibility of inversion then 40L floats are best.  If you want to slow things down then I use a length of (plumbers) pipe insulation on the Contender, on flat water it gives you about 30 seconds (and you can step on the mast if you're quick), in decent waves it depends on the angles when your mast hits the water but nowhere near so long.

Garry

Edited by Garry
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 10 at 5:36pm
We use 5 ltr bottles doubled up on training boats, but only on boats that will capsize lots.

For Wayfarers we dont have any flotation, only because the lake isnt deep enough for a Wayfarer to fully turtle.
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 10 at 5:59pm
We went for the Vision ones in the end, from LDC.  I have to say also that their customer service was excellent - I asked them lots of tedious questions about this and that and they were very willing to help, so well done to them.
the same, but different...

kaaskop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kaaskop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 10 at 12:05pm
@Garry

where on the mast you mount your mast float?
Contender Dinghy / Class 5 Sandyacht
hollandsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hollandsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 10 at 12:54pm
I used a mountain bike innertube blown up oversize and then folded in half then shoved in a really really thick pair of stockings then hoisted with the main halliard.

Dan
Laser 184084
Tasar 3501
RS600 698
RS600 782
Garry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 10 at 1:25pm

I pass the main halyard through the loop and hoist it to the top of the mast same as Dan.  Like the inner tube idea!

Garry

Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk
hollandsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hollandsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 10 at 1:29pm
Yeah, at least using innertubes, they last about 6 months and only cost about 4 per time.

Dan
Laser 184084
Tasar 3501
RS600 698
RS600 782
SalsaPirates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SalsaPirates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 10 at 2:37pm
Speed Sails made us some nice heavy duty sailcloth sails for our training GP14 fleet, complete with midi jibs, reef points on the main and a pocket at the head of the mainsail coming down the sail about 18 inches.  The design of this pocket is with a Velcro fasteing along the bottom edge of the triangle (hope that makes sense!) so that you can stuff foam in, however we have found that just the air trapped in there is sufficient to stop them turtleing for quite some time.  To be fair, they are older GP's which float lower in the water and therefore are less likely to turtle quickly.
fleaberto View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote fleaberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 10 at 4:30pm

Recycling is the way to go........drink 4 pints of milk then use the plastic bottle as a masthead float!

Raise mine on the halyard of my Lightning when weather is capsizeable (new word? ... i like it!) ... gives me an extra 15 seconds or so - given that the boat almost instantly turtles it's a valuable lifeline!

Lightning368 'All the Gear' (409), Lightning368 'Sprite' (101), Intl 420 ('Little Minx'),Contender 'Mild Oats' (620)- For Sale, Laser (big number) 'Yellow Jack', RS Vareo (432)'The Golden Rays'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>