FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The dreaded 'big my class up' thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
ex laser View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ex laser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 10 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Merlinboy

I agree with Mike, The 100 thread was great.  I found it really interesting following the boat from development through to actual club racing.  Although of late, its just been a class specific tuning forum, which should be left to the relevant class forums.

Not sure the Y&Y foum is the best place for it as any faults with the boats are discussed on an open public forum!

i am sure a lot of people post on both y&y and their class form.
cannot see a problem with it myself. if you dont like the thread, you  dont have to follow it. live and let live.

i agree, its not good for a class to discuss its problems in a open public forum.
but if people are silly enough to do it, it provides another source of information on what a class or boat is like.
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 10 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by ex laser

I agree with Mike, The 100 thread was great.  I found it really interesting following the boat from development through to actual club racing.  Although of late, its just been a class specific tuning forum, which should be left to the relevant class forums.

Not sure the Y&Y foum is the best place for it as any faults with the boats are discussed on an open public forum!

i am sure a lot of people post on both y&y and their class form.
cannot see a problem with it myself. if you dont like the thread, you  dont have to follow it. live and let live.

i agree, its not good for a class to discuss its problems in a open public forum.
but if people are silly enough to do it, it provides another source of information on what a class or boat is like.

+1

asterix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote asterix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 10 at 4:09pm

the 100 thread has been and is still helpful - please don't take it away.

also, what problems?

Flick-Flock View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Flick-Flock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 10 at 5:55pm
I like reading about class specific stuff, even if i dont sail in the class its good to see what other people are doing. Besides DD isnt that busy that they bury the other threads onto the 2nd page.
Swimming after Laser 5000 5069
ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 10 at 10:17pm
I've really enjoyed the 100 threads, its been interesting following development.  I like hearing about other classes as sometimes you pick up the odd little tip that you can apply to other boats.  I wouldn't trawl other class specific forums for that.
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 10 at 10:20am

how about a "your class" section within the dinghy and keelboat headings, and if you want to discuss your class you just start a topic with the class name.

when you look at car owners clubs websites they have sections for all the different models (years) etc, i think this website is the perfect place for that type of format as it brings together people from all spectrums of the sailing community that could have valid comments to impart, even if they dont sail the specific class you discussing.

Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 10 at 8:06pm
I think you have all miss understood me again!
The 100 thread has been absolutely great. For the first
time the public have had a forum to watch and in some
cases contribute to the development of an SMOD dinghy. A
dinghy may i add that we (on this forum especially) have
been crying out for! We have understood why SMOD
builders/designers have to sacrifice performance for
practicality.

My posting was basically about the fluffy "Keep this
thread at the top of the forum" posts. The last couple
of days have been a great read, understanding a little
more about the brainstorming etc. fantastic, this is the
sort of thing i LOVE reading about. But telling me if i
don't like a thread then don't read it is in this
instance childish for all the reasons above!
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 2:01pm

James youíre missing my point again!  I am interested in the 100 thread!  Really I am.  I would very much like to own a 100, hence my initial serious enquiry to Charlie about buying one, with the backing of the wife may I add (I bottled it though) I enjoy reading about development of every Dinghy class, I especially enjoyed the Banshee updates, (not linked to this forum) Jim Champs canoe blog was excellent and thoroughly enjoyable.

This thread is titled the dreaded "Big up my class" thread, the initial posters agreed with me!  The idea of the forum helping the development of the 100 is fantastic and I applaud RS communicating openly and sharing with this small cross section of dinghy sailors.  I even enjoy reading peoples early thoughts of the boat, niggles and favourite bits.  My boggle is really with the how much rake do you use upwind posts, which could be kept to a more specific forum then a general public one (luckily the thread seems to of been pulled back to development).  I look forward to reading peoples updates on here but as I don't sail a 100 I couldn't care less about the current go fast settings and feel that could be kept to your own forum not a public one!?

Jimbo you seem to be taking anything I say with regards to the 100 as either a personal attack or as a clash bashing.  I can promise you this is not the case, I understand you are passionate pal, you have waited a long time for this boat (I know better then most how long).  But please mate re-read what I am saying, if necessary take of the RS sunglasses and understand I just want to talk about Dinghy sailing!!  Not get in a sl*gging match with anyone!  After all that happened with the Phantom class and look where I ended up!!

FWIW I think that there should be a specific classes section on the Y&Y forums.  Somewhere the smaller classes can keep active.  Much like the lightning thread!  It would be great for classes which se those sh*te message board forums. 

Finally a forum is a place for people to disagree and debate, my few postings on the subject isn't going to stop people posting and nor should it.  Itís just a POV that appears to be shared! Not just on this open forum but by PM's!

ifoxwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 3:19pm

>FWIW I think that there should be a
specific classes section on the Y&Y forums.† Somewhere
the smaller classes can keep active.† Much like the
lightning thread!†

I'm with James regarding this whole debate but you make a
very good point regarding the smaller classes.

As you say we currently have the Lightening making use of the forum and recently the question over the K6 class.

There is a lot to be said for class specific forums in a
shared space for cases like this, they just dont always
have the man power to manage a web presence else.

But as for making this mandatory.... as I say I'm with
James

Ian
RS300
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 3:33pm

Jimbo,

I am just expressing my opinion on what i like to read.  Right or Wrong its an opinion and one share by a few others. I have not followed the projection thread, to me following a keelboat or Cat thread is like following a thread about ping-pong (of no interest) the Blaze thread however is great (it would be better if the boat had a kite, but lets not go there.

As for the increase in posters, fantastic! if the 100 has bought anything to this forum its an influx of interesting sub topics and posters and for that i thank it!

As for the RS tinted sunnies, when are you getting the RS tattoo finished off?? 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>