FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy for a Middle Aged Starter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Owenfackrell View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Owenfackrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 10 at 10:25pm
I have a miracle which I either sail on my own or with my 7 year old daughter (who only weighs just under 3 stone). It's fast enough to be entertaining but is roomy enough for 2 adults. My daughter likes the cut out seats as it means that she can reach the water and the jib sheet gives her something to hold on to. They have a proper cockpit that you can sit in and have room to stretch your legs out. They are also easy to manover on land by your self.
Sailaboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sailaboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 10 at 11:11am
I would suggest taking a look at the boats sailed at your local sailing club and try and sail a few to see what suits you best.  Buy secondhand to start with as these don't depreciate very much if at all.  Singlehanded boat could be a laser with a radial rig, two handed is a bit more tricky to advise, so try a few out

www.Sailaboat.tv for high quality training videos on sailing
sinkingfeeling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sinkingfeeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 10 at 6:41pm
Are there any other single handers? Are wayfarers/wanderers/enterprises/GP14's too big?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 10 at 7:34pm
Hi

If the majority of your sailing is likely to be singlehanded, I would definitely advise getting a proper singlehanded and just "making do" when you have someone with you. The two man boats are generally very difficult and unpleasant to sail on your own - a high risk of capsize and difficult recovery.

As far as singlehanders go, you sound fit and adventurous so I would say a Laser would be a good bet - if you don't like it for whatever reason it would be easy to sell on. There are a few alternatives to the Laser which would also do (Supernova, Comet etc) but they are rarer. The only thing is they are all fibreglass and not traditional looking. So you may want to consider a wooden Solo.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 10 at 7:40pm
Another thought - take a look at a Firely. Probabaly the easiest two man boat to sail on your own.
drifter View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 10 at 8:04pm
Or a Graduate. More room in thye cockpit.
Stewart
winging it View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 10 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by sinkingfeeling

Are there any other single handers? Are wayfarers/wanderers/enterprises/GP14's too big?

Yes, and too heavy - nothing will put you off more than the effort of having to lug something that big in and out of the water on your own.  It's really hard to give sensible suggestions without an idea of height and weight, but mirror, firefly, graduate, solo are all good ideas.

and btw, for my fiftieth (50 next December) I'm planning on a trip to Florida for the contender worlds in 2012

the same, but different...

sinkingfeeling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sinkingfeeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 10 at 8:40pm
I'm 5' 9" and I weigh 14st. As I mentioned in an earlier post I'm reasonably fit and go mountain biking three times a week.
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 10 at 9:31pm
then you'll be needing something to suit.  An old fashioned deep cockpit phantom would be ideal, because it's affordable and very passenger friendly, but not so easy to get hold of.  Perhaps not a mirror, but definitely think about a solo or a laser.  Maybe later move to a newer phantom or a supernova, when you've leanred a bit more about rigs and sail controls.
the same, but different...

Boydgt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Boydgt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 10 at 9:52pm
Sounds like a Laser 2 for you?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>