FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser 16

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jamesroy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jamesroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser 16
    Posted: 12 May 11 at 1:34pm
What can people tell me about the Laser 16. I want to introduce my son to sailing, he is only 4 so getting something stable is the key priority.

I am an expericned sailor but mainly in large yachts and ballasted keel boats, my time in small boats was in Laser 1 and 420's etc so I have no experience of how stable the more passive dinghies are (Wayfarer etc).

The Laser 16 to me seems like a modern Wayfarer. OK I know its a dead class in terms of racing but right now I have no interest in that. Just looking for a cheap (budget .5-3k) stable and robust boat, minimal maintenance that I can keep at the sailing club or at home, tow it around etc.

Can you launch a Laser 16 down a slip without a car, I think its a pretty heavy boat?

The Moo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 11 at 1:43pm
If your son is only 4 might not a Laser 13 which was a scaled down 16 be a better option? Will certainly be a lot more maneagable ashore.....
Foiling_Toff View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Foiling_Toff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 11 at 1:52pm

I've not sailed one, but hopefully someone here will share some first hand experience.  What I would say from watching a couple at the club, is they do look stable, but very slow.  I would suggest the Wayfarer is probably the better option.  A newish one may even feel more modern than the laser 16.  The hHartley boats certainly look nice.  

If you are after modern, then the Laser Stratos might worth a look.  They look stable and robust, and the asymmetric gives it a 'modern' touch.

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 11 at 2:56pm
The laser 13 we have as a club boat is stable, but the round bottom makes it seem quite wobbly, if that makes sense. She heels over pretty easily, so it will depend upon how your son feels about such things. The Laser 16 will be a similar feel. Coming down from yachts, these boats will look small, but actually, for a 4 year old, I found a Mirror dinghy perfect, as you can rig it mast forward with just the main up, and the child can crawl up onto the forward area and enjoy a splashy ride whilst still being below gunwale level.

Best bet with the 16 is to find one to borrow with your son, and see whether he loves it or not.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 11 at 4:29pm
you'd be better off with an actual modern Wayfarer- should be able to a double bottomed GRP one for that budget
-_
Al
Foiling_Toff View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Foiling_Toff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 11 at 5:47pm
It's probably worth noting that 3-5k isn't what most people would call a tight budget, and you can probably get a reasonable example of most classes for that.  You don't need to limit yourself to old boats if you'd rather have something more modern.
Flick-Flock View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Flick-Flock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 11 at 7:18pm
We've got a 16 at the centre I work at, they are nice boats, well mannered and the cockpits open and uncluttered.
However, I actually find the Wayfarers more stable. As has already been mentioned, the 16 is very round, so it will heel over quite quickly. The centreboard is weighted, and it probably helps with stability once heeled, but for a relaxed gentle sail something like a wayfarer would be better.

One other thing is they will fully invert fairly quickly, most of them have foam buoyancy sown into the top of the sail to help with this, but ours has a replica set of sails without it, and we've started using a mast head float for piece of mind after the last time it was capsized.
Swimming after Laser 5000 5069
kfz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote kfz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 11 at 7:34pm
JR,

There are a lot of posts on this same subject seems to come up quite often a family/kids teaching/bit of racing/cruising and I cant help thinking that the traditional dinghys like the Enterprise, GP14 and Wayfarer are most suitable. Theres not a massive difference between them and it may well boil down to whats a good deal, but enough difference to spend some time picking the one thats best for you depending on what balance of cruising vs racing and what water your on.

After the kids take to it or not and you've got yourself up to speed, you will be in much better position to pick a more expensive boat (like a laser 2000/bahia/Stratos or one of the big toppers) if you so want too and sell the old one for what you paid for her.  In meantime theres loads about their value for money and tons of support and if the kids stratchi t or break it who cares? Spend the difference on decent gear!

Kev

Kev
GP14 Fleet Captain
Liverpool Sailing Club

Liverpool SC
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 11 at 8:58am
If you want something easier to handle on the slipway than a Wayfarer what about its little sister the Wanderer.

The classes like Wanderer, Wayfarer, Enterprise, GP14 have an established secondhand market. Not so much so for the Laser 16. Just something to think about when you do want to move onto your next boat.
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 11 at 10:48am
I'd not noticed the budget - Laser 2000 every time on that money.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>