FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Designers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
ifoxwell View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Designers
    Posted: 30 Sep 11 at 9:12pm
Just noticed that the first K1 nationals attracted over 20 entrants.... and with the well publicised success of the RS100 is Paul Handley the only designer at the moment able to design the boats that we not only want, but are prepared to spend hard cash on.

There have been a lot of well received new designs over the last few years but how many of them are really selling?

Ian 
RS300
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 11 at 9:53pm
People are still spending cash on Fireballs, Merlins, RS400's.
K1 is more about a market niche than a design perhaps.
I don't know what Paul Handley's history is, has he designed anything in the development dinghies?
This all sounds a bit anglo centric, what designs are new and popular elsewhere?
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 11 at 10:15pm
Paul designed a Cherub about 20 years ago which was more in the "interesting ideas" than "huge success" bracket, but I think he's done a fair few leadmines. Other than that I don't know.

According to the racing class review data (which I take with a bit of a pinch of salt) top selling classes in the UK include these...

Laser 2000
Topper Xenon
RS500
Solo
Optimist
Topaz Vibe
Wayfarer
RS Tera
Magno
Topaz Omega
Taz
Topper (inc 4.2)
RS Feva
Laser Pico
Laser (Std Radial and 4.7)

I do suspect that some figures are worldwide sales, not exclusively British, and not everyone supplies data that I think looks rational.

Worldwide data is very difficult to come by: the RCR seems unique, but the British market does seem to be peculiarly neophilic.

Edited by JimC - 30 Sep 11 at 10:16pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 11 at 10:20pm
Paul also designed the Feva and the Tera.

ifoxwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 11 at 10:27pm
Perhaps I needed to be more specific.

I know that in the market as a whole these are still small numbers and there have undoubtedly been loads of great designs over the last 30 years that are stilling selling well.... but in the last 5?

Plenty of new boats have come along in just this short time frame but how many are really selling?

Ian

RS300
Peaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 11 at 8:00am
There's a few Elway Moths and Cherubs on the water I think, but it's all relative.

Now that I've quit my job to start my own nav arc business, watch this space!
tickel View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote tickel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 11 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Peaky

There's a few Elway Moths and Cherubs on the water I think, but it's all relative.

Brave man! Congratulations, now you can design a proper simple singlehander............
tickel
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 11 at 9:37am
I have 2 x Paul Handley designs in my fleet. The 100 and a Tera.

I think the Tera will be the class to watch in the next few years as it seems to be building a lot of momentum. It has the potential with Sport and Pro rigs to take market share from Oppies, Toppers & Laser 4.7s.

I think it is a better balanced boat than all of those and it is also the cheapest.  So lots of plus points going for it.

We are only a very small market so it cannot be a full time job for someone to become a designer of dinghies. If it is a full time job then there can only be enough work for one person. One of our plus points is we are a very conservative lot who are loyal to our brands and don't like a lot of change.
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 11 at 9:38am
Originally posted by tickel

Originally posted by Peaky

Brave man! Congratulations, now you can design a proper simple singlehander............

Oh dear, not another simple singlehander....
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 11 at 11:16am
How about a complicated singlehander that can be sailed by lazy people? Or maybe that is the K1?

Paul Handley does appear to have hit a rich vein of good designs - must be the Firefly sailing background!

Edited by Rupert - 01 Oct 11 at 11:17am
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>