FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wanderer vs Gull

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Baz View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wanderer vs Gull
    Posted: 29 Mar 12 at 1:34pm
Hello to you all,
My search is narrowing down to a wanderer or a gull sailing dinghy. Again im looking for a dinghy to singlehand mostly and occasionally with two, on the sea on the southwest coast of ireland. I will be inside the harbour mouth mostly but even then our average wind speeds tend to be quite high. My question now is a wanderer to big to sail singlehanded or move about on beaches/slipways. (Im 60 kgs) Is the gull too small or just perfect?
Thanks again for alll your replies.
Baz
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 12 at 1:48pm
If it were me, I'd go for the Gull, but a Wanderer would increase your cruising range, at the price of being harder to handle alone, both on and off the water. They aren't light boats, Wanderers.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 12 at 2:16pm
One caveat would be performance. If you're able to plan your journeys and take advantage of the tide then its not an issue, but slogging in against a strong tide might be less of a struggle in a Wanderer. But on the whole I reckon for the job described I'd look at a Gull out of the two.
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 12 at 7:24pm
Yep, Gull for the smaller solo sailor.
the same, but different...

SoggyBadger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SoggyBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 12 at 7:43pm
At your weight I'd recommend the Gull.
Best wishes from deep in the woods

SB

Baz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 12 at 9:54pm
Gull it is then. Thankyou for all the advice, time to go get one now. Will let ye know how i get on.
Safe sailing, and enjoy the season.
Barry
Marlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 13 at 7:00pm
How did you get on with the Gull? I too am thinking of a Wanderer of a Gull and at the moment favoring the Gull. Does any one know how stable the Mark 3 is compared to Gull Spirit as it has a rounded hull. Any further comments on stability of Gulls generally would help. I am wanting stability over speed. 
sawman View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 13 at 8:00pm
having sailed both of these a few years ago, the gull is a nice little boat - the wanderer (or at least the one I sailed was pretty horrid. 

The gull is a nicer boat to sail than the mirror which I would think would be its obvious competitor. 
The wanderer is inferior to the miracle, which would be of a similar size I guess
Marlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 13 at 8:27pm
Thanks Sawman.  This is helpful as the Mirror was something I thought about but only if I found a rare GRP one. 

In what way was the Gull nicer than the Wanderer? Was the Gull you sailed a Mark 3 or other? I'm still curious about the stability of a round hull as opposed to the chined hull of  the other variants.
sawman View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 13 at 10:27pm
Marlin, I think it was one of the Anglo marine built gulls, not sure what that makes it, I sailed it on the Broads, so cant really comment on stability but it felt fine to me. Its a nice responsive little boat, and feels more like a proper boat than the mirror. 

The wanderer I sailed felt heavy, and awkward compared to the Mk1 Kestrel I was sailing routinely at the time. I did only sail it the one day, in very little breeze, which maybe wasnt helpful to it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>