FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bandit Watch - A thread long overdue.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 23>
Author
G.R.F. View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 12 at 10:26am
Originally posted by pondmonkey

why don't you all sell up and buy Lasers?   

I have, it's just got extra bits that might make me capable of performing outside of my normal weight limitations.

We have a growing Laser Fleet, a friend I used to race against back in the windsurfer days has just pitched up and bought one and has wupped me a couple of times already in it, he's got a radial sail as well although he's both taller and heavier than I. He was a sailor before he raced boards and I see him struggling at times which is enough to convince me that my original opinion is still correct, it would be like me trying to return to original windsurfer class racing, another seventies icon, that no doubt our antipodean pal will be along in a minute to praise, but it is a piece of crap to sail now having had thirty years of racing performance thoroughbreds in between so why go back?

I also stick by what I said elsewhere about class racing, it is useless for anyone wanting to progress, since you never get near enough the front to watch the good guys unless you have some other advantage like weight or extreme youf and vigour. The best way is to have a faster boat that permits you to recover from mistakes and get back in the leading pack mix, so you can emulate their style, watch the little nuances of their technique, I'm a peculiar case, an expert racer with crap boat handling, I don't have both parts of the Eric Twiname formula for regatta success, Fast Auto pilot Boat Handling Coupled to Tactical 'Out of the Boat' awareness and the bit I did have suffers from snr moment memory loss. LOL

Edited by G.R.F. - 16 Aug 12 at 10:30am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 12 at 10:28am
Laser handicap is reasonable on the sea, its just that most of them are sailed in the way they were 15 years ago, so struggle. 

If you watch a 'squad' sailor sail one, they sail them completely differently to how they would have been taught 15 years ago. Part of that comes from the XD controls as they can sail them with large amounts of Cunningham and kicker and they use body position much more. A lot of club sailors sail with relatively small amounts of bend in the mast, whereas the squaddies always seem to achieve a very significant bend creating quite a different sail shape. If sailed by a fit person who has some nouse and uses the XD controls properly then its handicap is now reasonable if not a little generous on the sea. However because the vast majority of boats are sailed without exploiting the power to bend the mast that the xd controls give, then the massive legacy of active boats ensures the handicap gets moaned about. 

The downside of the controls is that top sailors permanently bend the top sections and therefore have to replace them or bend them back.

G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 12 at 10:33am
Originally posted by SimonW99

The downside of the controls is that top sailors permanently bend the top sections and therefore have to replace them or bend them back.

Is that what happened to Goody's mast I wonder in the early stages at Weymouth? I remember it looking kinked compared to the others in a couple of the early races?

Edited by G.R.F. - 16 Aug 12 at 10:35am
L192444 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote L192444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 12 at 10:38am
Originally posted by G.R.F.

I also stick by what I said elsewhere about class racing, it is useless for anyone wanting to progress, since you never get near enough the front to watch the good guys

Why do you assume the good guys are at the front in a PY race? It may well be the best sailors are mid fleet sailing the slower boats very well
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 12 at 10:41am
Originally posted by L192444

[
Why do you assume the good guys are at the front in a PY race? It may well be the best sailors are mid fleet sailing the slower boats very well
When you grow up son, you'll learn to spot just by looking and occasionally listening, who the good guys are, whatever they're in.
L192444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote L192444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 12 at 10:45am
Originally posted by G.R.F.

Originally posted by L192444

When you grow up son, you'll learn to spot just by looking and occasionally listening, who the good guys are, whatever they're in.

LOL yeah I'm hoping to come and watch you so I too can boss it at the RS100 nationals LOL
Rockhopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rockhopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 12 at 6:23pm
Well i think my 300 handicap is going to change at my club these are the same people who said my vareo had the wrong handicap too so i am thinking how low will they put it as after a 45 min race against a 600 on the same coarse i was only three mins behind him perhaps 970 is coming who knows i dont
Retired now after 35 seasons in a row and time for a rest
didlydon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote didlydon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 12 at 6:44pm
You are just tooooo good Andy!!!! Wink Hahahaha!!
Vareo 365

Rockhopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rockhopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 12 at 6:48pm
Na i dont think so don if i was that good i would win the dyson dash on bank holiday monday against everything that floats are you coming over for it ?
Retired now after 35 seasons in a row and time for a rest
didlydon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote didlydon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 12 at 6:57pm
Love to, but we've got a cup match on & if possible want to give it a go.... You still sailing in the evenings? We've finished now, but I reckon it's been a washout to be honest this year.... so many races abandoned due to lack of wind, too much wind or thunderstorms... I reckon I've sail 3 evenings in all!
Vareo 365

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 23>