FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2013 Sail Juice Global Warm up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Ruscoe View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2013 Sail Juice Global Warm up
    Posted: 05 Nov 12 at 11:48am
So with the days getting shorter and me frantically looking for deals on winter sailing clothing (i have put it off for 3 years now) It is nearly time for the 2013 Global Warm up.  So who is planning on doing what events?  I see the Yorkshire Dales Brass Monkey is included, bit far for me to travel over the festive period so i wont be making that one I don't think and as much as I like Draycote, I don't think i will make the Dash (even though its the closest) too much traffic and tight reaching last time i went.  Has anyone seen this years PY list?  Its noticeably missing from the website, so i guess they are either waiting for data or there may be some shocks...

AlexM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 12 at 11:56am
Did you warm up with Guy Fawkes Pursuit :) Sorry I didn’t even notice you guys were there till I helped you launch (well when you reversed back to the shore ;) ). I might try and get over to do the Brass Monkey, always windy over there.
Alex
Ruscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 12 at 12:09pm
Alex, Sorry mate i didnt even think it would be you in the 100 or i would of come and say hi.  Yes it was me.  First time Charlie and I have sailed a D-one since the nationals, they seem to spend too much time on trailers between events, so we have decided to join a club where we can sail each week and get some practice in.  Charlie used to be a memeber of L&L and we wanted to get out sailing this weekend so we thought we would make the journey (long way for 1 race) 

I put my back out lifting a GP14 that was full of water ont he saturday and to be honest shouldnt of sailed.  I couldnt hike so good thing it was a drifter.  Also i think i took too many pain killers as i was nearly sick twice!!!!  I didn't have the stength to give a porper push off shore and then put my dagger board in too early (its a shallow beach isn't it!) so thanks for rescuing me.  To be honest it was irresponsible me sailing but we had loaded the trailer up and my mate doesnt have a tow bar yet so i was committed.  Great course and a nice event.  It would of been smashing if we had of had more wind and my back wasn't nailed.  I sailed to the wrong mark up the first beat which shafted me as i was then stuck in the middle of the 4's.  Anyway enough excuses, neither Charlie or I looked like we would catch you!  I think i will deffiantely be back next year, hopefully there will be more wind and i will be able to move better.

pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 12 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Ruscoe

too much traffic and tight reaching last time i went. 

Well I was reliably informed that the 'course is designed to suit everyone, including asymmetric spinnakers', however when I had the 100, I also thought 'no thanks' when I saw the course and wasn't disappointed with my decision, so I don't blame you mate.  I still think the event would benefit from some proper windward/leeward provision, especially with the swarm of moths that are gathering there these days.   

As for too much traffic, last year was quite special in that the water levels were very, very low and tbh, the race officer did well to get a course where only a few boats touched down around the edges. Water levels are up again this year, so certainly this might be a lot less of an issue.

As for myself, I'm planning to make the Stevie Nicks again, but I'm not in the slightest bit interested in anything with a pursuit race.  I would have loved to do the GGP, but family commitments see me at the Hackney Empire with the little 'uns.  As for any other handicap events... Round the Island (mersea in august) and the FOM are the only others I'm looking forward to.  
AlexM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 12 at 12:27pm

Alex, Sorry mate i didnt even think it would be you in the 100 or i would of come and say hi.  Yes it was me.  First time Charlie and I have sailed a D-one since the nationals, they seem to spend too much time on trailers between events, so we have decided to join a club where we can sail each week and get some practice in.  Charlie used to be a memeber of L&L and we wanted to get out sailing this weekend so we thought we would make the journey (long way for 1 race) 

I put my back out lifting a GP14 that was full of water ont he saturday and to be honest shouldnt of sailed.  I couldnt hike so good thing it was a drifter.  Also i think i took too many pain killers as i was nearly sick twice!!!!  I didn't have the stength to give a porper push off shore and then put my dagger board in too early (its a shallow beach isn't it!) so thanks for rescuing me.  To be honest it was irresponsible me sailing but we had loaded the trailer up and my mate doesnt have a tow bar yet so i was committed.  Great course and a nice event.  It would of been smashing if we had of had more wind and my back wasn't nailed.  I sailed to the wrong mark up the first beat which shafted me as i was then stuck in the middle of the 4's.  Anyway enough excuses, neither Charlie or I looked like we would catch you!  I think i will deffiantely be back next year, hopefully there will be more wind and i will be able to move better.

Yep it was great course, RO does a great job every year to get a fair course for everyone. Conditions were ideal for the 100 but a little more breeze and there i'm sure i could of got into the top 5. I was expecting you guys to be all over me like a rash but it looks like you need a bit more breeze to get trucking (they look very big compared to my 100!)
Anyway hoping to race against more D1's at the POSH (i think we're making it an event this year) so we can get more boat on boat action ;)

Back to SJ
Alex
Ruscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 12 at 12:41pm
Alex,
POSH is a great event.  Its on our calender as an event again this year.  I must say bullsh!t aside it was great sharing a course with the 100's.  I had some great racing, when the breeze came up.  The wind virtually stopped when your start gun went and i thought we would be closer to you, but we started a minute before the 4's and saield to the wrong mark, which meant we (well I) got stuck in the middle of the 400 fleet  and i got spat out the back.  The D1 likes a bit more breeze IMO but others in the fleet seem to get it going well enough in the light stuff, i have never been quick in any boat (in any condition to be fair) but i tend to be on the money or faster when the breeze is up.  Partly down to my short attention span, i get bored and loose concentration and interest very quickly unless its at least hiking weather.  D1 does look big compared to the 100, i had forgotten how small the 100 felt.  Still lets hope to have a race over the winter at somewhere in more breeze with fewer pesky 400's

Ruscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ruscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 12 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by pondmonkey

Well I was reliably informed that the 'course is designed to suit everyone, including asymmetric spinnakers', however when I had the 100, I also thought 'no thanks' when I saw the course and wasn't disappointed with my decision, so I don't blame you mate.  I still think the event would benefit from some proper windward/leeward provision, especially with the swarm of moths that are gathering there these days.   

As for too much traffic, last year was quite special in that the water levels were very, very low and tbh, the race officer did well to get a course where only a few boats touched down around the edges. Water levels are up again this year, so certainly this might be a lot less of an issue.

As for myself, I'm planning to make the Stevie Nicks again, but I'm not in the slightest bit interested in anything with a pursuit race.  I would have loved to do the GGP, but family commitments see me at the Hackney Empire with the little 'uns.  As for any other handicap events... Round the Island (mersea in august) and the FOM are the only others I'm looking forward to.  
Jimbo,, i didn't go last year, i didn't want to risk the low water and think i had some other stuff on.  I don't want this to turn into a dig at Draycote as i love the club and like to think i have a few friends there, but unless I hear they are running a seperate W/L course or someone posts here saying there were a couple of decent legs for assy boats.  I am not interested in getting my arse handed to me by a fireball flying its kite on all but 1 or two of the legs.

alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 12 at 1:10pm
After our Inlands we're planning on staying put this year and club racing until spring
-_
Al
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 12 at 1:32pm

Originally posted by pondmonkey

Jimbo,, i didn't go last year, i didn't want to risk the low water and think i had some other stuff on.  I don't want this to turn into a dig at Draycote as i love the club and like to think i have a few friends there, but unless I hear they are running a seperate W/L course or someone posts here saying there were a couple of decent legs for assy boats.  I am not interested in getting my arse handed to me by a fireball flying its kite on all but 1 or two of the legs.

No worries mate, I don't think anyone would take your (very valid imo) comments as a dig at the club; it's just a simple fact that a lot of folks with asymmetric boats don't and won't travel for a.n.other handicap race where they are disadvantaged... might as well stay at home and have your arse handed to you by your fellow club members instead  LOL

I know Chris and Rich both participate on the forum here, so they might be in a better position to comment on merits of the course for asymmetric sailing.  However I'd have thought it's upwind, unarig, short kite run, unarig... or that's what I recall seeing Tim do a couple of years back.  I even sent him an email saying how impressed I was by the D-One's relative speed in unarig tight reaching at the time!  I thought he didn't suffer as badly as I would have done in the same position, but either way, you don't buy asymmetric boats to sail tighty-whities- best leave that for unarigs and displacement symmetrics.

Edited by pondmonkey - 05 Nov 12 at 2:17pm
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 12 at 3:05pm

S Has anyone seen this years PY list?  Its noticeably missing from the website?

I didn't notice last year, but do they do everyone? The EPS? Or is it just from the entry list sample?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>