URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10016
Printed Date: 21 Apr 21 at 2:13pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Anyone doing the Vendee Globe?
Posted By: Bootscooter
Subject: Anyone doing the Vendee Globe?
Date Posted: 10 Nov 12 at 1:48pm
You know.... the online racing thing?

If so, I'm Bootscooter.... feel free to add me to your list.  Perhaps we can find a Forum Virtual Racing Champion...

Replies:
Posted By: craiggo
Date Posted: 10 Nov 12 at 2:09pm
I'm in (RS700844)

Paul

Posted By: rb_stretch
Date Posted: 10 Nov 12 at 4:20pm
I've just joined as rwoofer, but have no idea what I'm supposed to do. Seems the only thing I can adjust is the boat heading, but no idea what is a good upwind angle for these boats and therefore what is a good direction. Searched google and all leads to the forum which has been down for me.

Anyone care to give me the basics.....

Date Posted: 10 Nov 12 at 4:23pm
Actually just checked in and I'm last not having moved at all despite my speed supposedly being 6 knots......

Posted By: tgruitt
Date Posted: 10 Nov 12 at 4:45pm
Im photo gruitt

-------------
Needs to sail more...

Date Posted: 10 Nov 12 at 4:54pm
And the virtual regatta site has now crashed "for maintenance" great timing

Date Posted: 10 Nov 12 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by rb_stretch

Actually just checked in and I'm last not having moved at all despite my speed supposedly being 6 knots......

On my chart you're showing as 86738th. Big smile

-------------

Posted By: andybury
Date Posted: 10 Nov 12 at 5:15pm
Did it last time and really must get a life, doing it again. Boltonsailing

Date Posted: 10 Nov 12 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Bootscooter

On my chart you're showing as 86738th. Big smile

Jumped 20000 places by actually getting moving. Suspect the other 86000 places will be harder.....

So do you know how this game works? All I did was bear off 40 degrees to the wind from 30 and that got me going. Don't actually know what are the tacking angles of Open 60s.

Date Posted: 10 Nov 12 at 5:48pm
the controls on the left of the screen should enable you to judjr angle vs speed. In the current conditions I reckon 40deg is about right.  Bear in mind that this'll change with wind strength, both up and down.

-------------

Posted By: Ginge
Date Posted: 10 Nov 12 at 6:21pm
It just seems to be blind luck to me.. If you couldn't tell it's not going to well for me.

-------------
Laser

Posted By: radixon
Date Posted: 10 Nov 12 at 7:16pm
R a Dixon,just started but cos it won't run on the iPad, I might not alter course as often,

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Nov 12 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by radixon

R a Dixon,just started but cos it won't run on the iPad, I might not alter course as often,

Yes, I couldn't get it to work on an IPad on 3 different browsers, which will make it far more likely that I'll hit land. 

Date Posted: 10 Nov 12 at 9:12pm
WOOHOO!!!!
I've just broken in to the top 400!!!!Big smile

*prepares for freak squall/broken spars/keel falling off*

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Nov 12 at 9:34pm

WOOHOO!!!!
I've just broken in to the top 400!!!!Big smile

*prepares for freak squall/broken spars/keel falling off*

You were 700 odd when I saw, how many ays have you got to keep this up for? You will be doing yet his in your sleep, reminds me of the FarmVille days on Facebook, it gets addictive I'm sure

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Nov 12 at 9:40pm
I'd managed to get up to around 20000th before missing the wind shift while I had my dinner!!! Dropped 30000 places as a result

Its going to be a long few months.

Posted By: getafix
Date Posted: 11 Nov 12 at 8:02am
 Angry impossible to change course on ipad..... I may hit america before turning south!

Posted By: tgruitt
Date Posted: 11 Nov 12 at 11:08am

the controls on the left of the screen should enable you to judjr angle vs speed. In the current conditions I reckon 40deg is about right.  Bear in mind that this'll change with wind strength, both up and down.

I've managed to find the game boat polars.... How geeky?

-------------
Needs to sail more...

Date Posted: 11 Nov 12 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by tgruitt

I've managed to find the game boat polars.... How geeky?

Very geeky.

(any chance of a peek?)

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Nov 12 at 2:13pm
Its not helping you much at the moment Tom!

Posted By: Contender 541
Date Posted: 11 Nov 12 at 3:24pm
I did the last edition and it does take over your life.  For that very reason I am not doing this

Good luck to all those who are though

-------------
When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

Date Posted: 11 Nov 12 at 4:41pm
Rich (Dixon), you've crashed into the North Spain coastline!!!!

Date Posted: 11 Nov 12 at 6:37pm
Cheers for the heads up, that's what happens when you haven't changed course in 24 hrs, teaching PB got in the way!

Right going backwards, might alter course before bedtime... Will this game be blocked at work, who knows, but at 9am tomorrow it won't be!

Bootscooter is in 884 place.... He's not that far away!

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Nov 12 at 7:12pm

Cheers for the heads up, that's what happens when you haven't changed course in 24 hrs, teaching PB got in the way!

Right going backwards, might alter course before bedtime... Will this game be blocked at work, who knows, but at 9am tomorrow it won't be!

Bootscooter is in 884 place.... He's not that far away!

*looks over shoulder*

* hikes harder*

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Nov 12 at 7:25pm
Rich are you doing a Marc Guillemot? Turn left

Date Posted: 11 Nov 12 at 8:21pm
Is it down for anybody else? I mean the whole website

-------------
Laser

Date Posted: 11 Nov 12 at 8:32pm
Right, going the right way now, that will have to dofor the next 12 hours. If any one wants to add me, go ahead. I need nudging, next stop America!

-------------

Posted By: Dougal
Date Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 9:06am
I have just joined - Dougal13.  No idea what I am doing yet.  I haven't hit any countries which I guess is a good thing, and I think I gybed which led to the loss of 1500 places.

I can see this becoming very addictive!

Date Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 9:10am
Gybed back and gained 2 places!  Way Hey!

Date Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 10:07am
I managed to sail into a hole overnight and lost 42,000 places!. Only going to get worse at a boat speed of 3 knots.....

Posted By: fleaberto
Date Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 11:43am
I did the Volvo Virtual race for the last edition....that was enough for me - at least it included stopovers to have a little bit of 'life' now & then.
I'm not saying it was addictive....but I actually bought a laptop so that I could set my course when the final (compulsory) leg started on the last day of my holiday in Turkey!! - as well as making sure of wireless connection in the hotel beforehand!
....and that was all to finish mid-5000th overall.

Real time. Round the world. Every bloody day.

Awesome! LOL 

-------------
Lightning368 'All the Gear' (409), Lightning368 'Sprite' (101), Intl 420 ('Little Minx'),Contender 'Mild Oats' (620)- For Sale, Laser (big number) 'Yellow Jack', RS Vareo (432)'The Golden Rays'

Posted By: Hengest
Date Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 12:59pm

I managed to sail into a hole overnight and lost 42,000 places!. Only going to get worse at a boat speed of 3 knots.....
I did it last time and found that I was getting up in the middle of the night to check progress / change course.

I expect to see some posts in this thread in the wee small hours before long. it gets very addictive.

Not doing it this time Cry 

Date Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 5:01pm
Any one else thinking of heading out towards the incoming low?  I need to gybe before bed time or I hit the rocks at some point in the early hours.

Totally addicted already - I can see this game ruining my life.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 5:35pm
The problem with the low is that it brings winds mainly from the South, so I was going to keep going south and then use the low to start westwards track. What do I know though? I've lost over 50,000 places in the last 24 hours and only just getting out of the hole I was in.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 5:40pm
Yes, but it looks like getting awfully quiet close to the coast with the wind coming straight on the nose, and the angle looks slightly better out to sea.

I think I will go for it tonight, have a look tomorrow, probably bail out and end up stuck in the middle going nowhere.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 5:54pm
Reading the reports it is exactly the same dilemma that the fleet are going through, south or west.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 8:02pm
I'm coast hugging heading south. Given that I am only modifiying course in the evening due to work blocking the site, I'm pleased to be up in the 20000ths. My current plan is to hug the african coast until the cape verdes then head SW aiming to cross the doldrums in sensible breeze. All the best laid plans and all, so will probably flounder in the next few days

Posted By: andy101
Date Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 8:46pm
I am heading for Rio, if it doesn't work & I get chucked out the back will just stay on the beach watching the ladies play volleyball until the World Cup starts.

Who said it was all about winning Smile

Posted By: Andymac
Date Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Dougal

Gybed back and gained 2 places!  Way Hey!

Not following the race, but loving the commentary!LOL

Posted By: Hengest
Date Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 10:36pm
Really tempted to register and do it again

Must resist, must resist

Posted By: sargesail
Date Posted: 12 Nov 12 at 11:00pm
I'm in!  Haemorraging places at the back just now.  Going SE at best VMG - West again when the sly are in...anyone know if it plays the currents in - 1/2 a knot from the Portugese trade surface current would be nice!

Posted By: getafix
Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 7:18am
I'm must be flipping brilliant at this...just checked my course this morning, I overtook 32+ thousand boats in my sleep Wink

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 7:51am
Originally posted by getafix

I'm must be flipping brilliant at this...just checked my course this morning, I overtook 32+ thousand boats in my sleep Wink

Yes, I got 15000 overnight too.  There is a lesson here!

The dilemma is still do I stick to the coast or gybe out west.  I think west but the questions is when...Confused

This is taking over my life..

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 8:19am
Yes even I managed to overtake 24000.

I suspect that many people going West are now getting caught in the ridge of low winds, so paying the price. I see most of us I still heading South, which is why we are going to pay for the current gains later on when we eventually need to head West.

I'm keeping South whilst I have wind, but as soon as it drops I'll head West.

BTW, I'm playing with the basic boat and no extras, how is everyone else? I think the extras do give a big advantage, so it would be great to see who I'm playing with on level terms.

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 8:29am
I win, I gained 41000 places overnight chucking the spinni up and going directly south. I'm catching you lot up, well providing you sail into a dead patch for 24hrs.

Edit - I too havent paid anything, dont intend to, otherwise it will get very expensive. I am sure those out front will be changing course a lot and have auto sails etc etc.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 8:35am
I'm on the basic boat too - I have no intention to spend money on this.

Nice move Richard!

ps this is a stupid question, but which way round the world do we sail?  Should I head for S America or S Africa?

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 9:17am
South Africa, Cape of Good Hope.

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 10:09am

Thanks!

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 10:54am

Thanks!

Worth pointing out that, on average, RTW boats mostly go over to Brazil to a) get through the doldrums quickly and b) catch the trade winds into Cape Town. Very rarely do people follow the African coastline.

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 11:23am
I'm following the race leaders, they seem to be doing ok

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 11:34am
I am heading due west very slowly in about 3 knots of breeze which hasn't changed for 24 hours. Plan was to get round the top of they low by tomorrow but think it may have backfired!

Also not quite sure how to make sure the kite is up?

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by andy101

I am heading due west very slowly in about 3 knots of breeze which hasn't changed for 24 hours. Plan was to get round the top of they low by tomorrow but think it may have backfired!

Also not quite sure how to make sure the kite is up?

On the left hand side down the bottome there is the Spinnaker/Jib/Auto options for sail changes.  This is where you change it.  Paying money for the auto option is considered cheating just in case you were wondering.

I too threw in a gybe west at lunchtime.  11 knots at the moment but looking like a f#cking great hole ahead of me. And south of me.  Land to the East and North is where I came from!

ps are you Andy101 in the game?

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 7:19pm
I'm still heading South. I'm stuck now, West would see me in a massive hole for most of tommorow, and therefore South is the only way. Only problem is that the winds look light around the Canaries for the next few days, so might have a holiday on Gran Canaria for a week or so!

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 7:39pm
Can anybody 'beat' my current rank of 209k, anybody higher? What am I doing wrong?! I started on time and everything...

-------------
Laser

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 7:56pm

What usernames are you all under in the game?  If we add as friends then our boat show on each others screen.

Nice going with 209k - I am at the lofty heights of 79k ish.

Sail change probably needed about 3am.  Maybe I'll ask the wife to do it.

Edit: I am Dougal13

Posted By: desem
Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 8:11pm
desem is my user name not doing to bad, but need to find wind soon.

This will be a long three months

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 8:27pm
Yes, same name in the game.

Now got some breeze but it is from due south and I have been close hauled with the kite up for the last 12 hours apparently (def not paying for anything!).

Down at 186k!

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 8:32pm
I'm down as rwoofer. Been trying to eek out some West in my course, but being forced South due to big holes. When I lose speed badly I will go straight West to get through the light wind band asap.
Have worked my way up from 154k to 117k in the last 24 hours or so. Nearly back to where I was before I planted myself in a hole...this is hard work and I'm quite enjoying it.

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 8:35pm
Im RS700844 and I've dug myself into a bit of a hole

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by craiggo

Im RS700844 and I've dug myself into a bit of a hole

It's a bugger when that happens as you just have to sit and watch your place go way up. My hole cost me 50k places in the end, so try and use that as a target to come underSmile

Can you imagine what it must feel like in real life if you do that?

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 8:49pm
I have set up a group in the game called forumites if anyone wants to join.  I haven't worked out what it is good for yet though!

Yeah, there is a big hole just where Craiggo is.  Hopefully I gybed off in time (although tomorrow not looking great on the forecast...)

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 8:58pm
I messed up a bit yesterday and dropped to the 1600s, but have made a bit back and now in 506th.  I managed to get south quite a way and am now smashing west(ish) at 15kts.

callsign "bootscooter"

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 9:17pm
Erm, how do you join groups?...

-------------
Laser

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 9:22pm
along the top under community

what is your name in the game?

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 9:26pm
And who is going to admit to being 'mustymongrel'?

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 10:09pm
Thanks, I've applied, Hazeltine by the way

-------------
Laser

Posted By: sargesail
Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 10:46pm
Can't see the communities thing at all

Date Posted: 13 Nov 12 at 10:46pm

Just wondering how you figured that out, as looking at your track, the wind direction looks pretty constant until the next forecast update??

Posted By: mongrel
Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 7:36am

And who is going to admit to being 'mustymongrel'?
Me!LOL

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 7:49am

Just wondering how you figured that out, as looking at your track, the wind direction looks pretty constant until the next forecast update??

Erm, I hadn't realised that the wind changed at set times, I thought it was a rolling forecast Embarrassed

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 8:08am
What times does the wind change at? - I keep missing but cracking along now at 30 even without the kite, still largely going west though!

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 9:41am
7am and 7pm GMT I think.

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 10:23am
Think it may have just changed in the last 30 mins, moved south & dropped a bit where I am.

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 10:24am
Wind speed and direction do change when you move from one grid to another.

Posted By: laser193713
Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 10:28am
I am SgtPepper_6084, currently ranked 217356, is that a record? By the time i finish writing this it will be time for me to turn south in 30 knots of wind with the kite up! Yeeeeehhhaaaaawwwww Cool

Oh and for the record, I am currently heading west towards the Azores. Hence the low ranking, I will hopefully be making some massive gains through the rest of today/ tomorrow. Think I might win the prize for most placed gained in a day at this rate!

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 1:17pm
Um, someone on here has paid money to have Auto sails etc, no wonder they are out in front. Craigo has sailed into a hole and I'm trying to get out of this dire wind patch, going 7knts in 4knts of wind, could be worse.

Back to work and hopefully I may break <100,000 mark. Mind you, those on the outside will have to keep up with sail changes.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 3:15pm
Went out at 10 and wind was from the south, come back at 3 and it is from the NW so I think I may have gone through the the  centre of the low,  now able to head south at last and put the kite up (probably should have been up about 3 hours ago!). Currently NE of laser197713 who is going a lot faster than me in a stronger breeze & 211k isn't very good!
ps I think Craggio should check his rudder for fishing nets

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 3:31pm
Andy if I were you I would still be heading hard west, get away from that weather or in 12 hours you are gonna be facing Southerly breezes again.

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 3:37pm
Doesn't really work at the moment - when I say NW It is really more WNW so can only get ahead of the windspeed by going S at the moment but will keep a close eye this evening.

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 3:45pm
Fair enough, I'm quite happy where I am at the moment, couldn't be heading south any faster! Big smile

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 5:45pm

Um, someone on here has paid money to have Auto sails etc, no wonder they are out in front.

Embarrassed
Didn't realise thems was da rules.....   I actually registered a few weeks ago and had some credits left from the previous race...

*hangs head*

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 5:54pm
Just got in, and checked the rudder only to find a large clump of weed, several trawler nets with trawlers attached and container of dodgy taiwanese goods!

So now making some headway, and with the wind due to fill in for me in two hours time, I should be off without dropping down below 60000th.

My lack of smartphone and lack of employer willing to let me play from work is seriously hampering boatspeed!

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 6:44pm
Just went up 39456 places in 10 minutes! I win!

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 6:48pm
For some reason I just lost 4,500 places in 10 mins. How did that happen?

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 7:03pm
To be fair it was his thread so we can't really grumble Wink

I got about 10k in the same 10 mins. Think I may be missing something in that I can't get the weather forecasts on the site to work or see any grids?

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 7:06pm
Looks like the site just crashed. Got French message saying maintenance is being done.

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 7:12pm
Same, what happens during maintainance, do we all carry on where we were going? I was looking quite nice so it would be good to make some gains!

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 7:28pm

Looks like the site just crashed. Got French message saying maintenance is being done.

Well I'm left questioning their parentage!!!!!  I suspect I'm now head to wind (and have been for 25 mins).

AAARRRGGGHHH

*good job I'm not a competitive person*

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 7:47pm
It will a french trick, keep the brits out for a couple of hours. When you go back in 10k boats with french flags will have passed you - single market and all that Wink 

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 7:56pm
back up again!

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 7:57pm

back up again!

It's not, I got it to load to 90% and then it crashed again! Ouch

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 8:08pm
Yep you're right. It will kill the game if the server cannot stay up reliably. Let's hope they solve this.

Posted By: Blake 11
Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 8:21pm
I "was" in the race but I think they've taken exception to Kiwi entries as well as The Brits...I also reckon they've taken us down to reposition theirr fishing trawler fleet just about on our bows.....Dead

-------------
Expatkiwi

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 8:22pm
Alright for me, I am screaming downwind at 25 knots.... I think! I was last time I was able to check! LOL

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 8:28pm
I'm about to sail into a wind change, which would leave me head to wind. Not good if this down time lasts any longer. Need to be in there to tack on the change....

Posted By: Blake 11
Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 8:35pm
Whats your position.I'll chuck you a rope as you go past,[just to give you a bit of stability, I'm good like that]

-------------
Expatkiwi

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 9:05pm
I haven't been able to get on for over 2 hrs.  From memory I will be stopped head to wind by now.

Blake - I don't think they've forgiven you for the whole Rainbow Warrior incident.

When I was in NZ (some (many) years ago) I was outside Christchurch on the Banks (?) peninsula in a cafe.  I was chatting with (chatting up) the girl running it and we got talking about how the peninsula used to be a French enclave and how the local government were keen to embrace the French heritage.  They suggested that the (rather attractive) lady re-name her cafe something French.  Her response has always stuck in my mind - she replied that the name was sympathetic and she was fully supporting French heritage in the South Pacific which is why the cafe was called the Atomic Cafe.....

I never did get anywhere with her......

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 9:20pm
Dougal,

I think we were virtually side by side, so it will be the same cell we will be stuck in head to wind...and I was catching you Smile

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 9:26pm

Dougal,

I think we were virtually side by side, so it will be the same cell we will be stuck in head to wind...and I was catching you Smile

Yes.  I would of course argue I was pulling away from you!  I am still undecided whether to take the knock and carry on west or head south overnight and back west in the morning.  Assuming I can log on of course....

Date Posted: 14 Nov 12 at 9:49pm
Quelle surprise, same decision process.

Although it is looking likely that this problem isn't going to get resolved tonight and I need an early night.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com